Brand new 2018 Ram 2500 with rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Yeah, they are all built in Saltillo. Will be moving back to MI for 5th gen.

But mine was hauled all the way up here to MI and I found zero rust on it. I inspected it every where the day I drove it home.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
UNACCEPTABLE...$50k and rust already...

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought MadDog booted your dumb a$$. Welcome back.

Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another reason why I had Krown rust proofing applied to my truck.Best $179 bucks spent IMHO..

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed those parts should be painted, but I'm pretty sure on mine they are like that. Good news is those parts will never rust through as long as you have the truck. If you have free tme this summer, pull the wheels and sand/paint those parts.

BEAUTIFUL PW!! Congrats!

rickkimbrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram Megacab Diesel
Engine
Vehicles of all brands have looked similar for years. Took a new car back once to the dealership 3 days after I picked it up and was told "it is normal, it is surface rust, will not cause a problem". Guess they were right. I had the car for 12 years and it never caused an issue.

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lmao. First what happens to iron when it isn't painted or protected in some way when exposed to air and moisture? It rusts. No mystery there. So if it really bothers you, you can paint it. It's not a show truck, but you could paint it.

I recently bought a 04 Rumble Bee that is 14 years old. I live in the Midwest and in a humid climate. Since its a collectable truck, I want to preserve it, so I got underneath it. There was some rust on various part and pieces due to the factory never having adequately protected them when new and because of being subjected to salt at times before I bought it.

I bought a quart of Eastwood rust encapsulator (available on their web site) to protect some of the black cast iron parts. Just wire brush or scuff off any scale on the rusty areas and paint on the encapsulator with a brush. It comes in a rattle can too, which would be enough to do those parts you are concerned with on your truck.

You can also scuff the axle housing and shoot it with a rattle can paint too if you want. That's a sub-assembly others can see from ground level. I have used a semi-gloss or matt black finish-whichever turns you on. Might shoot a light coat of primer over the factory original paint before painting the black.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
sanding taping and rattle canning are all you need to rid yourself of rust

Warner R Rohr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO cummins
I have the exact color of power wagon and yup mine are the same. I am not worried about it and if you complain you may just get the deer in the headlight look
Just installed a honey badger bumper was not meant for the truck but with some retro fitting it looks pretty sharp

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Krown products are very good too.

Last edited: