Broke 4wd need help diagnosing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Got my truck stuck duck hunting last weekend and was in 4wd spinning tires heard a loud ping and then neither of the front tires were spinning. The driveshaft was still spinning and no noise other than the initial ping. After about 10 hours we got it out and no obvious damage that I can see from the outside. I can spin the driveshaft with ease with my hand and there is a little clunking noise in the axle near the passenger side wheel. It drives smooth on the highway other than turning hard left there is a faint grinding/rubbing noise coming from the right front. It is a Dana 60 front axle and I'm thinking maybe a broken axle shaft? Any suggestions would be great as it is going to start snowing soon so I need 4wd, thankyou

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Got my truck stuck duck hunting last weekend and was in 4wd spinning tires heard a loud ping and then neither of the front tires were spinning. The driveshaft was still spinning and no noise other than the initial ping. After about 10 hours we got it out and no obvious damage that I can see from the outside. I can spin the driveshaft with ease with my hand and there is a little clunking noise in the axle near the passenger side wheel. It drives smooth on the highway other than turning hard left there is a faint grinding/rubbing noise coming from the right front. It is a Dana 60 front axle and I'm thinking maybe a broken axle shaft? Any suggestions would be great as it is going to start snowing soon so I need 4wd, thankyou

Its very possibly the 4wd disconnect, those are known to go out and then behave like this.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yank the 4 bolts on the back of the axle tube on the passenger side

Pulled the cover and the collar was stuck all the way to the left (inside) of the axle. There was a small piece of channel type material in the bottom of the housing it looked like it could have been to the fork that moves the collar. I moved the collar all the way to the right (outside) of the axle and put the axle back on. I haven't gotten a chance to try the 4wd i dont see any reason it wouldnt work but Im a little worried about the broken off piece and the collar maybe just sliding to far again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01