broken bolt on intake manifold! help me!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Seanram, Jan 4, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    Guys i dont know how to go at this but my engine has been exposed to salt on roads and the top of bolt broke on intake what are my options?

2. Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    like the actual intake manifold? if so you could try and use a reverse drill bit or an easy out.. but I would recommend just taking the time to take the full intake off and then try to use vicegrips on the broken bolt or if you have access to a welder, just weld a nut to the top of the broken bolt and undo

R.L.K. likes this.
  3. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    i broke the first bolt off on intake and havent messed with any other bolts. the intake is still on my truck.

supertech276 likes this.
  4. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    If you are doing the plenum, just keep taking the rest off. The broken bolt means its rusted in pretty tough so you may need a flat head to GENTLY pry the intake up, just to break the seal. Also, douse the bolt in WD-40or PB blaster while you are taking the rest off.

Once you get the intake off, get yourself a propane torch or something hotter, and some WD-40 (no need to waste the good stuff on this part). Take the torch and heat the bolt up for 20-30 second, the douse it with WD-40 until it stops smoking. If it lights on fire, just let it burn out and don't heat it as much next time. Repeat this once more. Take a pair of vise grips and latch them on TIGHT. Just rock the vise grips back and forth a little at a time, if it moves, just keep turning it more and more on each pass. If it won't budge, go back to heating and cooling 3 or so times. Eventually it will come out.

If you do decide to weld a nut on, its imperative that you do two things. Disconnect the battery, and put the negative clamp on the HEAD, not the block or anything else. Putting the clamp in the intake ports is fine. If you clamp it to the block, current will flow partially through the headgasket, ground straps, and possibly bearings on the crank, con rod, and piston rings/piston.

I broke one bolt on mine and got it out real easy using the heat and cool method.

I'd also take a can of compressed air and blow all the crud out of the bolt holes too. You can also dab your finger in oil and touch the threads on the bolts when re-installing to make your life easier. Just remember, a torque wrench is only accurate when moving, if you stop, it will indicate a higher torque until the bolt starts moving again.

As long as you don't go all 300lb gorilla, you will be fine. Just use a couple touches of oil or assembly lube to hold the gaskets in place and double check everything once you set the intake back down, and you'll be fine.

Rado likes this.
  5. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    Remove intake and follow the above advice from dudeman. Only thing i would add is cover the lifter valley and intake ports to protect from splatter.

Easy outs are a no no on these bolts. They break every damn time and make the job much worse.

6. Yeret

Yeret Senior Member

Under the hood, trying to find that ****ing bolt/n
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    +1 (or -1 I guess) on the EZ Outs. My dad tried one on of the two bolts that broke on mine and it snapped almost immediately.

7. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    Guys check these pictures out and tell me that pletnum is shot. i am also going to try to heat the bolts up tomarrow.

Attached Files:

OnSale likes this.
  8. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    That crud is pretty common on the bottom if there has been intervals with way to much mileage on the oil.

The only way to tell if the plenum was infact bad is to unbolt that plate on the bottom and inspect the gasket.

You have plenty of height left on that bolt to get it out no problem. Just take it slow, nothing is done better because you shaved 5 minutes off.

9. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    The gasket failed, I saw where was was no gasket and it was brittle and took 30 mins to to scrape it but I might have to take head off. Cause one bolt is flush with the exhaust gasket and no nub I can grab with my finger. What about drill and tap?

10. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    Also would it be bad if I used the old steel plenum pan? It doesn't seem warped or nothing just the gasket failed.