broken bolt on intake manifold! help me!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Seanram, Jan 4, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. pajeepman

pajeepman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    Ebay aluminum plenum is $72 on ebay from 289guy. I would spend the money and get the good felpro gasket. Wanna go through that again? My opinion. Just the good gasket probably would be fine but........

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

2. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    Exhaust gasket? you mean intake gasket?

Well, you are in for some trouble then. The heads are known to crack, usually between valves. Taking it off might make any small cracks worse.

I have had good luck with slightly larger bolts than these by getting a nice carbide drill bit and putting a small hole about half the diameter of the bolt in the middle. Then get yourself a left-handed tap and bolt, then just tap and thread that bolt in.

Forget any device that claims to get stuck bolts out, they are all garbage and a waste of money.

If you decide to take the heads off, you might as well clean and inspect them with fluorescent dye. If they are cracked, they are just going to get worse once you put them back on. Its a decision you have to make.

However, if you want to replace the heads with something nicer not too long down the line, i'd recommend just fixing the plenum and letting the heads and that one bolt stay. It wont cause any damage if you plan on replacing the heads 6-8 months down the line.

3. mda8569

mda8569 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    That depends on who you talk too, lol. I've heard that the problem is the steel pan mated to an aluminum manifold, and i've also heard that the bolts are slightly too long and bottom out. I purchased the ebay aluminum plate that came with bolts and gasket. If you decide you are going to go back in later for heads, you could re-use the oem plate, and grind down the tips on the bolts.

4. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    Flex measured across the length of the whole pan has shown to average about 0.00015" across. However, many cases have come around of pan bolts being loose upon removal and occasionally missing. Also, factory gasket was shit. Mopar even came out with an updated gasket with a steel core. Steel pan isn't the problem and I've had many guys reuse the pan, take 2 threads off the bolts as a pre-caution, loctite, updated gasket and none have come back saying it blew again.

5. Seanram

Seanram Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 magnum
    I just want to thank you I followed everything u told me and I was able to get all bolts out yesterday thanks!!!!!