Broken Tie Rod Near Death Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lute

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
74 year old MIL driving her 2007 3500 Cummins 6.7 dually (she purchased new) when passenger side TRE snapped.
Lost all control of truck.
Swerved across road narrowly missing other cars, down into ditch, finally colliding with a fence that stopped the truck immediately, resulting in neck injury. No air bag deployment.
Called local dealer, gave VIN, service says open recall on that VIN for airbags and TRE.
Have it towed in, no problem, we'll take care of it.

Subsequent call from service said TRE recall is for driver's side only.
Will cost you $1,200. to replace the broken passenger side TRE.

& Not sufficient damage to front end of truck to cause air bag deployment.

Questions: If they are already replacing the Driver's TRE, why does it cost an additional $1,200. to do the passenger side?

Towing charges were in excess of $450.

Considering the circumstances and past history of Ram TRE problems, what would be an appropriate
warranty consideration, if any?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Can I ask how many miles are on the truck? If the truck has more than 100 thousand miles on it the front end on trucks don't have way to grease things.Older model trucks have grease fittings car makers in order to save a dollar stop putting them on cars and trucks that is why when cars and trucks get miles on the front end sounds like they are about to fall out from under it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had the drivers side come apart on my 06' diesel. Funny thing is it was on the hoist less than a week prior and there was no play in it. Didn't snap, just popped off the socket. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and the ditch I ended up in wasn't deep.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
God was looking after you and lute mother inlaw and no one got hurt badly.