Bumping when returning steering wheel to center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, this is something that started occurring a few weeks ago. My truck steers fine but when you return the steering wheel back to center, there is this noticeable "bumping" that occurs. It only happens when returning the wheel to center but not when you're turning it into a corner. The feeling is identical to if my front axle is engaged and I try to take a sharp corner, although that causes a reverse of what I'm having now (in that case, the steering bumps when I steer into a corner but then disappears when I return it to center).

No odd noises that I can notice. Also, the issue seems to vary in severity day by day. One day, nothing odd happens at all but other days, turning onto the highway feels like the front wheels are going to break off from the hubs. Also, the greater the issue's severity, the more it feels like I'm dragging an anchor. I'm tempted to say a sticking brake caliper but I'm not sure...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963