Buying a Chrysler buy back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Looking at a 2014 limited with 13k miles that was a "Chrysler buyback vehicle " said the trucks get fixed then sold at auction and that's how the dealership got it. Just wondering if anyone has experience buying one of these. Seems to be a red flag but also sometimes they are very minor issues.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would stay away from it unless they give you some time of lifetime warranty.
And it's should be a red flag if the truck got bought back it's because they saw a problem with it no such thing as small problem

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I bought one. It was a 2008 caliber srt4 it had a new long block installed I got a year unlimited warrant and I bought another extnended warranty. With that being said it always hung over my head and I wouldn't do it again always thinking the what if.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
This buy issue is still kinda new so I doubt many people have bought a buy back truck. Hell it takes months just to get FCA to do a buy back.

Honestly I don't see the big deal about buying one. It's like buying any other used car. You are always taking a risk. At least you know the issue was fixed.

It's not like these things were flooded or wrecked.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me it would depend on the deal they were offering. If it's not a damn good deal, it wouldn't be worth the risk. If it is a great deal, as stated above, see if they will throw in a factory extended warranty.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My dad bought a 2008 Ford F-350 diesel back in 2009 from the US. It was a buy back truck, had the engine replaced with 6000 miles on it. Dad bought it with 10,000 miles.

It was a Lariat pretty loaded up, paid I believe $35,000 for it (USD at par with CAD), kept it problem free for 3 years and traded it in when he bought a new F-150. It had 98,000 kms on it when he traded it (almost 60,000 miles). The dealer gave him $32,000 for it as a trade! Never had an issue and only depreciated $3000 lol. It was a pretty great deal!

That being said I'm sure there are genuine lemons out there, not every buy back will be as reliable as my dad's was. I'd get a copy of all the work that was done to the truck before you buy.

OP
OP
flysooner9

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
They sent me the write up on it. Was brought in for a "vibration" the solution was "replaced tires" not sure that if that was truly the only problem and true solution why not just replace the tires and give it back to the owner.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They sent me the write up on it. Was brought in for a "vibration" the solution was "replaced tires" not sure that if that was truly the only problem and true solution why not just replace the tires and give it back to the owner.

I would test drive the **** out of that before even considering it...

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go on a test drive if it's in regards to the vibration.

Then if you still like it, tell them you will start off negotiations with a lifetime warranty (no warranty, no truck)...then ask for $5k off whatever they are asking for...lol

**Truck name: Rampage**

OP
OP
flysooner9

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
yeah i think i'll steer clear of this one especially since id be buying it in another state. Even if i got a warranty from the dealer id have to get it half way across the country to have it worked on by the dealer.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased my truck as a buy back. The reason was a noise in the front end. I was able to find the dealer who fixed the "issues" via the vehicle history report and I contacted them. Got my hands on all of the service records and spoke with the service manager. There is no noise in the front end and I have not had any issues in relation to the reason for buy back. It still has a warranty and based on continuous issues that causes a buy back, I figure an issue, if any, will come up while still under warranty. Could an issue arise after warranty? Sure, but it can happen on any other truck after warranty as well. I'm not in the least bit worried about it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Looking at a 2014 limited with 13k miles that was a "Chrysler buyback vehicle " said the trucks get fixed then sold at auction and that's how the dealership got it. Just wondering if anyone has experience buying one of these. Seems to be a red flag but also sometimes they are very minor issues.

Hi flysooner9,
If you'd like to PM me the VIN, I can look into the vehicle records some more for you.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi flysooner9,
If you'd like to PM me the VIN, I can look into the vehicle records some more for you.

Forgive me for the minor thread derailment, but thanks for hanging out with us on the forum.

yanclanman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 Ram was a buy back. It had an issue with the touch screen. After driving it for a month the issue resurfaced and I was in and out of the dealer for the next 3 months. Still an ongoing issue for me, but I saved over $8k. To me this was worth it. However if the truck had been bought back for a more serious issue I wouldn't even consider it. Why would Chrysler pay $40-50K to buy a truck back if they could just fix the issue. The reason: they'll never fix the issue. They know it, so they buy it back, move the truck to a state that does brand titles as lemons and hope for a better results with a different buyer. No lemon laws to protect used car buyers.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To me it's simple..if you already know it had problems. Why buy it, unless it's like 5 or 10k cheaper. I still wouldn't buy it. Just to prevent headaches , I don't see a upside in buying it.

OP
OP
flysooner9

flysooner9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 & 2000
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
This one is a 2014 1500 Limited. All options except sunroof and 13k miles. They have it listed online for 35.5 so not an earth shattering deal anyway.