Cabin AF airflow test Done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The big debate on how the C.A.F. destroys airflow Solved :O
Tested using this meter set in MPH. No CFM selection but for 12$ who cares lol
,https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM816-Digi...149131&hash=item4d75017316:g:UQsAAOSwPGpbFf9q

Test 1 Dirty CAF starting low speed

1: 3.3
2: 5.0
3: 6.6
4: 7.8
5: 9.0
6: 11.7
7: 13 MPH

Test 2 No CAF
1: 4.5
2: 6.2
3: 7.7
4: 9.2
5: 10.7
6: 12.5
7: 13.5 MPH

Test 3 WIX 24313 CAF
1: 4.5
2: 6.2
3: 7.9
4: 9.6
5: 11.2
6: 13.7
7: 14.7 MPH

Now this is a cheap flow meter ,door's open and a little windy so that may effect #s, Will try again another time I am board :O Joys of being retired and a HVAC Tech always wanting to know how things work and what causes issues ! Will be interesting to see other who do a test unless I am the only one who did it lol

Last edited:

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RADO,

Thanks for the test, curious about results.

As someone who just installed the CAF in my 2015 RAM, I seem to have noticed significant decrease at lower fan speeds.

I think your test suggests less output when dirty, and almost the same without CAF or with WIX. Given the purpose of a filter I expected to lose some throughput, and I have seen other filters (Fram, K&N) may allow better flow than the OEM I added.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I was surprised as well !Maybe I di not have the CAF door on tight ???
I would have expected less flow with the CAF . But could be the CAF restriction might increase flow a bit ! Example, when we do duct work we need so much CFM per register. As the run gets longer the air flow decreases, So we adjust by reducing the dust size to compress the air and increase its cfm at the other end, sorry I suck at explaing in type lol..

I will do the test again tomorrow if not windy to see if there is a difference ! But was weeird how I saw a increase in flow.. The debate goes on lol

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking forward to the results. Having just added a CAF I have mixed feelings. Dealer even warned me about less output.

Silly question, when testing w/o CAF is the cover (hatch) on. Maybe there’s some loss through the glovebox?

Dunno, just some variables to consider.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
RADO,

Thanks for the test, curious about results.

As someone who just installed the CAF in my 2015 RAM, I seem to have noticed significant decrease at lower fan speeds.

I think your test suggests less output when dirty, and almost the same without CAF or with WIX. Given the purpose of a filter I expected to lose some throughput, and I have seen other filters (Fram, K&N) may allow better flow than the OEM I added.

Thoughts?

I was surorised as well
Looking forward to the results. Having just added a CAF I have mixed feelings. Dealer even warned me about less output.

Silly question, when testing w/o CAF is the cover (hatch) on. Maybe there’s some loss through the glovebox?

Dunno, just some variables to consider.

Yea the cover was on, BUT maybe not on tight ?? will try again as the only plans I have tomorrow is cut grass so a good excuse not too do the lawn lol
Alot of dealers say the restriction thing IMO is they do not want a small job so less $$,, BUT if there was a flow issue that caused damage WHY do 99% of cars today have them ??? The only real flow issue is when dirty and w/o the CAF the evaporator and heating coil would gum up, then the dealer would make alot of $$$ fixing that issue :O

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And to that end, mine was installed under warranty and I was tired of the dust particularly on the “screen” and elsewhere.

Glad I got it, but prefer my air strong and crisp.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The one I took out was nasty , maybe 15/20k on it ? But loosing a little AF is well worth it in the end IMO, The damage it save is well worth the cost :) When your retired you get bored easy so need thing to do and this is one lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It does seem odd that the new filter has more flow than without a filter...more than odd, something was different.
If you run the test again, turn the recirculated mode on and do all the tests that way.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I did the test again with CAF in, About the same. SO I will pull the CAF tomorrow and see whats up

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It does seem odd that the new filter has more flow than without a filter...more than odd, something was different.
If you run the test again, turn the recirculated mode on and do all the tests that way.
It may have to do with constriction with the CAF ! I used to do HVAC till I retired ! With a Hot Air system running duct work you start with 1 size and reduce as need so you get the right CFM at the final run. The reduction in size compresses the air and make it pick up speed again ! So that might have something with the better flow w/the CAF ! Or more then likely human error from a Old Fart lol.. Will test w/o again tomorrow, the test I did tonight was with New CAF and they were equal with test 1, I will post test 2 tomorrow

It would be nice if a few other did the test with the same or other meter !

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What is the accuracy on the the $12 meter? Maybe the fan (paddle) bearings loosened up as the testing progressed.

In any event thanks RADO for testing. Interesting results.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What is the accuracy on the the $12 meter? Maybe the fan (paddle) bearings loosened up as the testing progressed.

In any event thanks RADO for testing. Interesting results.
It is a cheap meter so I am sure it is not 110% on but close enough to give a idea of how a CAF effect flow! Not much when clean :) Either way will keep the coil and evaporator clean

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The results show faster air, not necessary more air. Could be kinda like hydraulic fluid flowing from a larger diameter tube to a smaller diameter tube, you get a faster moving fluid at a higher psi but lower volume because of the restriction.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The results show faster air, not necessary more air. Could be kinda like hydraulic fluid flowing from a larger diameter tube to a smaller diameter tube, you get a faster moving fluid at a higher psi but lower volume because of the restriction.
That is Another way of explaining it :) It works that way with Duct work in HVAC system by reducing the runs as you go., Compress's the air to keep the CFM as close to constant from point A to B, All in all not really much restriction with the CAF but way cheaper to change a CAF the clean the Evap and heating coil lol

Last edited:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Test 3 WIX 24313 CAF

Question for the OP. When I lookup the WIX CAF for our trucks I get #24579, what is the difference with the 24313 you used?

-K

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Question for the OP. When I lookup the WIX CAF for our trucks I get #24579, what is the difference with the 24313 you used?

-K
The Wix I picked up is listed for a 2013 Avenger !I did the CAF mod and I read awhile back that it would fit and it does .. Same size as stock ! The 2015 is not listed for a CAF as it was not installed, so other then tat I do not know of any other difference ! I would assume that any RAM that does have a listed CAF would fit ? Hopefully someone would chime in on that!

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not to hijack the thread but... I installed my filter mod in the winter so the fan speed never ran on high a lot. It did whistle when I used a filter with the charcoal for odor removal but not the regular one. Now that summer is here and it's 100+ degrees, the fan whistles all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The Wix I picked up is listed for a 2013 Avenger !I did the CAF mod and I read awhile back that it would fit and it does .. Same size as stock ! The 2015 is not listed for a CAF as it was not installed, so other then tat I do not know of any other difference ! I would assume that any RAM that does have a listed CAF would fit ? Hopefully someone would chime in on that!

You have to do the lookup based on a 2017, the first year they were standard.

I did some further checking and found that the 313 is just a tiny bit larger than the 579. It's just 10th's of an inch so the fit is not surprising.

Part Number: 24579
Style: Cabin Air Panel
Service: Cabin Air
Type:
Media: Particulate
Length: 8.503 (216)*
Width: 7.677 (195)*
Height: 0.984 (25)*

Part Number: 24313
Style: Cabin Air Panel
Service: Cabin Air
Type: