Cabin AF airflow test Done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You have to do the lookup based on a 2017, the first year they were standard.

I did some further checking and found that the 313 is just a tiny bit larger than the 579. It's just 10th's of an inch so the fit is not surprising.

Part Number: 24579
Style: Cabin Air Panel
Service: Cabin Air
Type:
Media: Particulate
Length: 8.503 (216)*
Width: 7.677 (195)*
Height: 0.984 (25)*

Part Number: 24313
Style: Cabin Air Panel
Service: Cabin Air
Type:
Media: Particulate
Length: 8.63 (219)*
Width: 7.63 (194)*
Height: 1 (25)*

-K
Thanks for the update on the CAF part # ! Explains why it takes a little extra push to seat the cover ! But placed on the ORD they look the same.. I will remember to get 1 for a 2017 next time.. Another thread listed the AVENGER CAF

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice work man!
I installed my cabin filter about two months ago and wondering how it would affect it.
I guess I'll change out my filter every year because the dust Arizona provides hahaha.
My 2016 Ford Fusion can with stock cabin filter and I change it before the 2 year mark. Man on man was it filthy and sand literally filling the fins lol noticed a big difference after installing a new filter.

Our RAM blowing pressure sucks. I have my truck blowing on 4 and it matches my car on 2 lol

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When I installed my CAF in 2016 there were several articles that said the carbon CAFs definitely impeded air flow. And, at that time the suggested Wix was #24579. I have been using the FC25869 on eBay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
When I installed my CAF in 2016 there were several articles that said the carbon CAFs definitely impeded air flow. And, at that time the suggested Wix was #24579. I have been using the FC25869 on eBay.
I will try those next time ! The one I got is for a Avenger and Kad showed me it is a tiny bit bigger and to use one from a 2017 ! But after 20k the old one was a tad nasty ! :O If I try the charcoal next time I will redo the test ! FYI that what happens when you retire and get board lol you do trivial things lol

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Nice work man!
I installed my cabin filter about two months ago and wondering how it would affect it.
I guess I'll change out my filter every year because the dust Arizona provides hahaha.
My 2016 Ford Fusion can with stock cabin filter and I change it before the 2 year mark. Man on man was it filthy and sand literally filling the fins lol noticed a big difference after installing a new filter.

Our RAM blowing pressure sucks. I have my truck blowing on 4 and it matches my car on 2 lol
I would check it after 10/15k since you say your in a dusty area ! When I did my daughters ,who had her TUCSON about 1 1/2 years it was frigging real nasty

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the Air filter mod a few years ago and didn't notice much if any difference. The important thing with HVAC when heating or cooling a space is volume, not velocity. For example, if you increase the size of all the vents, it would sound more quiet and slow down the MPH, but you should get more volume and more cooling or heating. There's a calculator for converting MPH to CFM, but it wouldn't work on something like our truck because it needs duct dimensions.

Ray

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just did the CAF mod and used the kit from Geno's garage. (Looks like it has a carbon filter) HUGE decrease in the already poor air circulation on my Mega cab. I may try a different filter but the current one is not going to cut it in the Georgia summer. Probably just going to remove it all together.

Interesting the numbers you got on the flow. A guy on another forum did the same test and showed a 40% decrease in air flow (which I believe with my experience with the filter)

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer called me at time of install to make sure I wanted it just because of the expected decrease in flow.

To me there is a noticeable difference, but because it’ll protect the evaporator and will reduce the dust and pollen, it’s worth the tradeoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did the CAf mode last fall, using a Mopar filter. I just changed it after abotu 9 months (really heavy pollen season this spring) using a Wix filter. There's a serious difference in air flow. The Wix is much less restrictive.

-K

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes I would agree that the brand CAF may be the cause of less or more air flow! I wll redo the test in a few days as I found out when I did the test in my HHR the flow rate change with location in the same vent ! Next test I will tape it in place ! Joys of being old, retired and board lol

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I was told a CAF for a 2017 RAM would be it

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know of any places locally that would sell the kit?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
You know of any places locally that would sell the kit?

Your dealer should have the door and the CAF for a RAM, If not GENO's or E Bay

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your dealer should have the door and the CAF for a RAM, If not GENO's or E Bay
Wonder if the pricing is similar to ebay

jljbtm

Reaction score
I did the mod and added the filter back in January but never noticed any real difference.