Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DSKUP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this on my 2012 CC. Everything worked as earlier reported. I just thought I'd add one thing. The position of the "cut out" area is such (under dash, all the way to the right) that I had to lay on my back on the floor of the passenger side. Being right handed, I found it a bit of a struggle to get up in there and make the cuts. Just a really awkward position.

The kit I bought included instructions with an optional step of removing the top glove box compartment. It indicated there are a few trim clips and one 7mm bolt holding it in. I didn't do this, as I wanted to limit the amount of disassembly. But in hind sight I can see how it would allow a guy to sit upright and look through the upper opening, while working through the lower opening. So take that for what it's worth.

I did notice a slight reduction in airflow, which is just common sense. On the upside, it tamed the noise of the max fan setting.

Oh, one last thing. I had to twist the filter a bit to get it in place, as there is a bit of a dog leg in going through the dash opening to the slot. Nothing major though.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump for the new interest in this topic

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might be doing this mod on the 2012 I bought last week but I have a question for those who have examined the HVAC system. Will this filter protect the heat and A/C coils from accumulating debris coming in through the cowl? I park my truck under some trees and it rains down pine needles and other small trash. I've never noticed much difference in vehicles that had a filter from the standpoint of odors or pollen but I'd still do the mod if I though it would keep the coils clean, the way your home air filter protects the coil from getting dirty.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Cheap mod. I like it! I drive on a dirt road everyday. I bet it would filter quite a bit of dirt for me.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Handed over $44 to the stealership for the door and filter today.
Will head straight to Wal-Mart for a house size, 3M allergy barrier, top of the line furnace filter to cut into 4 to make the next 4 filters tomorrow a.m.
Jesus, our Canadian goods must be brushed with ****** angel dust...:shooter:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just changed the filter on my Ram and the wife's Journey they were nasty after a long dry summer. Great mod and I am so glad I did it.

6252Mech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm a new 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4X4 owner, and a tad bit disappointed to find it doesn't come with a stock cabin air filter. Thanks for the tutorial, I went through the dealership and order my lid, and got the Fram FreshBreeze Filter. Now I can :killer: TEAR THROUGH MY NEIGHBORS YARDS AND FLOWER PADS, and not worry about my allergies kicking up a storm:flipthebird: LOL JK.

Ryan12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did this mod was really straight foreward. Box is in upper right hand corner so was kinda tricky. Nice not have the desert inside my truck anymore.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dodge decided that our 4th Gen RAMS do not need cabin air filtration, this is an easy way to install one so it looks factory.

TOOLS NEEDED:

(1) Sharp boxcutter or X-acto

PARTS NEEDED:

(1) Filter box 'lid'. Dodge part number 68052292AA (About $11)
(1) Cabin Air Filter. Dodge part number 5058693AA, OR, Purolater C25869 ($7), Hastings HAAF1328, or Wix 24578

(These parts are all "OEM" for a 2010 Dodge Avenger, Caliber, Compass, etc. They will not be found by searching in any parts book under 'Dodge Ram'!)

Step 1. Remove lower glove box by gently pulling inward on both sides where the 'ears' are.

Step 2. Locate the filter slot area, which is shaped like a short, fat "T". Using the sharp tool of your choice, cut out the area just inside of the "T". You do not need to cut out the lower 'leg' of the "T", just go straight across. (Refer to pic)

Step 3. Slide in filter with airflow arrow pointing down. The filter, when properly installed, will protrude outside of the slot some. It will not be 'flush'.

Step 4. 'Snap' on the lid. You will need to press on the little 'ears' on each end of the lid (marked with blue tape in pic) until you hear a 'click'. This 'locks' the lid into place.

Step 5. Re-install glove box, and done!

The only "hard' part is trimming out the slot, but the material is pretty thin,,, Just take your time,,,

Future servicing of this filter is super easy!!! Takes about 2 minutes, most of which will be spent emptying the glovebox!
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303425&d=1282419689

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303426&d=1282419689

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303427&d=1282419689

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303428&d=1282419750

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303430&d=1282419819

I couldn't find the filters above but I did find a Wix one.

Wix 24313
$20.99

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone else noticed a sucking sound coming from the filter area. I can definitely hear the filter when I turn up the fan.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They told me 30 for mopar. Are you having the sucking sound from your air filter too?

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you get a chance could you give me your dimensions. Maybe they gave me the wrong one. Mines definitely audible when you turn up the fan. If I don't get it figured out I'm pulling it out.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
try tunring it around... i got the one from the very beginning, gave them the mopar part number and the ordered it for me:D

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got the air flow arrow pointing down like the door so I don't think it's that. I was wondering if it was too long and got bunched up or something. That's the only thing I can think of.