Cabin air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jloucks742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found a hundred threads on the cabin filter mod but had a couple questions. I just traded in for a 2014 ram 1500 sport. It’s the same way my 2013 ram was where it’s kind of got the dirt air smell when heater or a/c is going. I made an appointment to have the cabin filter changed but is there even anything to change if supposedly there’s no filter from the factory?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No, 14 ram does not have a cabin filter. I have seen an install kit on Geno's garage website. Doesn't look like a difficult install.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Try also turning the unit on high and spraying ozium on passenger side footwell. Due this a few times with heat and AC. I keep a bottle with me and always spray and let get into the hvac and then turn off and let sit and repeat. Should help to disinfect. Also Genos sells a kit I bought that mounts on outside under the wipers and covers and filters intake grates...pairs nicely with the cabin filter mod.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 Express has developed that same smell. Anyone know the cause and any fix for it? Only happens after a rain.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's usually mold and dust accumulation. You can't do much about stopping it but you can treat is. Ozium is a good product and works pretty well. You can also use some Lysol spray to kill the mold. It will come back as you can't stop the accumulation of crud and condensation in the system.

The cabin filter will help mitigate the musty smell but it needs to be changed routinely.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
A1A1B1F0-F3C6-436B-8662-EC2232956EB4.jpeg
You can see mine installed here under wipers!

It's usually mold and dust accumulation. You can't do much about stopping it but you can treat is. Ozium is a good product and works pretty well. You can also use some Lysol spray to kill the mold. It will come back as you can't stop the accumulation of crud and condensation in the system.

The cabin filter will help mitigate the musty smell but it needs to be changed routinely.

This is why I routinely use ozium once a week since new to help prevent,protect, and freshen my system. Manufactor is so cheap they didn’t even include one cabin filter. These systems are wide open to the outside and if truck is used in a dirty and dusty environment that’s what is caught on inside of a sealed system. I just really will never understand the concept of the OEM providing all the molded cutouts for a cabin filter but not installing the $2.00 filter and cover.

There is something you can do however to protect the system and this is the product I was speaking of that installs over the intake grates under the wipers. It provides two carbon air filters that you change out once a year that filter al the outside air before entering the vechicle.
Next it will hit the cabin filter before arriving into the cabin..:this provides the driver wth the cleanest possible air, especially during spring and pollen season... I have been using this since my truck was a year old. Works great!!! Cabin is also much cleaner and no smell.

You can order here $59.00 first kit listed
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/cab-filters

Last edited:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
View attachment 117790
You can see mine installed here under wipers!

There is something you can do however to protect the system and this is the product I was speaking of that installs over the intake grates under the wipers. It provides two carbon air filters that you change out once a year that filter al the outside air before entering the vechicle.
Next it will hit the cabin filter before arriving into the cabin..:this provides the driver wth the cleanest possible air, especially during spring and pollen season... I have been using this since my truck was a year old. Works great!!! Cabin is also much cleaner and no smell.

You can order here $59.00 first kit listed
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/cab-filters

How visible is that with the hood closed?

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just ordered that kit. Hope it helps with the muskiness that comes from the hvac system

Not sure where you are, but if it's cold there, the plastic cuts a LOT easier if warmed up with a hair dryer first. (If you use a heat gun, keep it on low and be very careful not to over heat and warp the plastic).

-K

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
915E0447-074A-4195-8BF2-1E14EE870E8D.jpeg 7C0719C0-D636-4C2F-B339-32F71671F5C6.jpeg 81F6DCB6-0D08-447F-BDF8-FEDB5EA37078.jpeg
How visible is that with the hood closed?

-K

Not visible at all from head on... can only see black plastic when looking in at wipers and 4 stainless screws. The air comes in from under the hood.

This is the best filtration method for outside air in as all air has to pass through it to enter the system. Been running for 4 years without a problem. I am in north east as well, I always change out filter once a year in late spring after all the tree pollen has finished. Cabin filter I change every other year as it remains pristine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2015 Express has developed that same smell. Anyone know the cause and any fix for it? Only happens after a rain.

Never had this issue, but turtle was has kit to get rid of interior ideas.

OP
OP
jloucks742

jloucks742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never had this issue, but turtle was has kit to get rid of interior ideas.

It’s not really an interior odor. Just a dirt/smoky smell when the hvac is going. I’ve had the same type of smell in both trucks which goes away when the heat or air is off