Cabin Filter - Worth It? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2015 Big Horn 1500

Surprised to realize my 1500 did not have a cabin filter. I know MOPAR has a modification.

Any reason to consider putting this in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say yes especially if you live in a area that blows alot of dirt. I live in So Cal desert and the wind blows alot of dirt and sand.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently did the mod and I would have to say yes. My dash gets less dust accumulated and over time the hvac system can get mildew without the filter. That happened to my previous dakota and I could’nt get rid of the smell.

subkron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would highly recommend it. Last week I replaced mine, it had been in for 10 months and it was really dirty. I live in south jersey but I'd rather have the filter grab the crud as opposed to my lungs.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently did the mod and I would have to say yes. My dash gets less dust accumulated and over time the hvac system can get mildew without the filter. That happened to my previous dakota and I could’nt get rid of the smell.

So I asked my local dealer (high volume dealer) and in talking to the the foreman said they have never done the mod. I was surprised and it has me a little weary to let them do it. Thoughts?

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did this mod on my truck myself. It's not that tough to do, and I believe that it has definitely helped with the dust in the truck.

subkron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the mod myself, easy peasy. I think the write is in the sticky thread "Best Mods for < $100".

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the mod myself, easy peasy. I think the write is in the sticky thread "Best Mods for < $100".

Yeah, saw that. Trying to get a feel for whether people like it. Part of me is like RAM didn’t make it OEM, don’t need it. Then I “flip” and think I want it.

Can’t make mind up. Thanks!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the cover kit with the k&n cabin filter for the 17 1500s that have it stock in my 16 express. Made a huge difference in the amount of dust/fuzz on the dash. It's not hard to do, just make sure to not cut past the edges of the outline for the box, my cuts look a bit jagged and uneven, but i was more worried about cutting too much than looking pretty.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I "think" beginning with the late 16 models it is standard. A couple of people with the later models have said they wanted to do the mod, bought all the stuff and when they took the glove box out, they discovered it was already done. I've changed my filter a couple of times and I think if you actually saw one of the filters that had been in the truck for about 6 months, that would convince you it's a worthwhile expenditure.
Jay

3M-TA3

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 & 2015
Engine
V10 & 5.7L Hemi
I plan on doing this mod, especially after having installed the upper glove box earlier today. The amount of dust I saw behind the dash convinced me I need one. I plan on cutting the plastic using a soldering iron with a thin temporary tip.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 express, does it already have the filter? I know I could go look but just asking if anyone knows.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, saw that. Trying to get a feel for whether people like it. Part of me is like RAM didn’t make it OEM, don’t need it. Then I “flip” and think I want it.

Can’t make mind up. Thanks!

It only went away to improve profits... 30$ may not be much but make thousands of trucks and it adds up..

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
When you change the Cabin Air Filter the first time you will see why they are needed ! The crap like leaves and dust can clog up the heating/AC coil over time ,depending on where you live ! I changed the one on my daughters car and it was nasty ! Did my car a few time s and you can see the crap it catches ,, So YES it is worth it ! Several DIY threads on site here as well as You Tube, Pretty easy to do, a bit of a pain but not bad,, A SHARP razor knife is needed, the kit can be picked up off E Bay and I believe we have a vendor here who sells the kit! GENOS Garage I think

Last edited:

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, ya'll got me rethinking this mod. Assuming I don't have it - '17 1500. I almost always have the window down. Even with the ac or heat on. Old habit from when I smoked. Always figured a cabin filter wouldn't be much of benefit with the window down so much.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Well, ya'll got me rethinking this mod. Assuming I don't have it - '17 1500. I almost always have the window down. Even with the ac or heat on. Old habit from when I smoked. Always figured a cabin filter wouldn't be much of benefit with the window down so much.

There should be one already in the 2017 from all I read

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
It's a good mod to get if your truck doesn't already have one! I have one in my 2016 2500 Limited, it's under the glove box.

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17 express, does it already have the filter? I know I could go look but just asking if anyone knows.

My 2016 already had the door, just had to go to Autozone and pick up a STP filter, $10.This thread reminded me it's time to check mine.

3M-TA3

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 & 2015
Engine
V10 & 5.7L Hemi

Probably not, but you can check in just a few moments. Open your glove box, then pinch in the guides so you can remove it (if you have the string dampener on the right hand side you have to remove it as well) then remove the glove box. The cabin filter access is on the right hand side and high. If you don't have it you will see a T shaped area grooved into the HVAC system. This is the part that has to be cut out.

Here is a picture of the hatch from the kit I just ordered. If you already have the kit installed you will see the two tabs sticking out:
s-l500.jpg

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Norton and 3M, I know where it's supposed to be and how to change it, just didn't know if it was there or not. I've checked on the computer at work and they don't have a filter listed for the 17 so I hope if it's there I can get a part number off of it and cross reference. Thanks again.

I found a part number on Fram's filter lookup page, it's cf11671 if I have factory installed filter. Now just have to go see if I have one or not.

Last edited: