Cabin Filter - Worth It? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L tradesman have a cabin air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way to know is to look. Takes 2 minutes, i just got a 18 1500 and it had the kit from the factory.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 express had one from factory, even though no filter or replacement filter listed. I crossed the Mopar part number to a Purolator number.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally pulled the trigger on this mod and bought the door from Amazon and filter from AutoZone for my 2015 sport

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
To make the cutting of the plastic a little easier Take a hack saw blade and scrape the outline several times,, The dust will not get in the fan! After you made a deep scribe take a NEW SHARP Razor knife and cut slowly in a rocking motion! I didn't want to chance using a heat gut or hair dryer in fear of warping the plastic ! BUT in the end well worth it, If you have the cable on the side of the box door to slow the opening tie it off with a string so it does not retract, can be a pain to retrieve ! After you first filter you will say Holy **** look at all the crap lol

Craig Hauser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did this over the weekend. kind of a pain cutting out the hole being right handed but totally worth it.

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still conflicted.

One of the drawbacks, so I’ve heard, is decreased output from the AC.

What’s also odd, is based on VIN, it indicates the vehicle should have this...it doesn’t.

Thoughts?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still conflicted.

What’s also odd, is based on VIN, it indicates the vehicle should have this...it doesn’t.

Thoughts?

I guess the only way to know is actually look. I don't know what determines if you get one or don't. My 17 express doesn't have one listed or replacement filter listed but yet it has one. As far as cutting down airflow, possibly when it gets dirty, but that's with any filter. My truck was 8 months old when I changed mine and I couldn't believe all the crap that was in it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Still conflicted.

Thoughts?

It DOES NOT reduce air flow! Most cars come with a cabin air filer today so if there were issues they would be delegated ! Now a dirty heater core or AC coil that will cause flow issues

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of my buddies couldn't figure out why his ac on his truck wouldn't work for about two weeks. I pulled out his air filter that he hadn't changed in years. TA DA! :33:

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The only airflow issue I noticed after putting mine in was in the filter I chose. I did the mod and the 1st cabin filter I got was one with activated carbon to reduce odors. With that one I could hear a faint whistle when the fan was on high. I remembered someone mentioned they would hear a whistle when the filter was dirty. I changed it out to the basic filter and the whistle was gone. If you get the cabin filter with carbon or charcoal to remove odors... I think it is a little more restrictive.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just replaced my cabin filter in my JKU after Jeep just 14 months. 5b8c8b0c31c0d68c722dda9f14481861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, saw that. Trying to get a feel for whether people like it. Part of me is like RAM didn’t make it OEM, don’t need it. Then I “flip” and think I want it.

Can’t make mind up. Thanks!

Mopar didn't do it cuz it wasn't needed, they did it to save money...

once on putting it in,
and several times on changing it out while under warranty

OP
OP
F

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. I had the dealer do the modification. That way if something was to happen, it would at least be backed by MOPAR.

After about 30 miles I can tell you I am glad I had it done. Probably will be happier once I change it and see all the dirt and dust it catches.

The tech called me and asked if I was sure I wanted the work done because it would lead to decreased air flow. I considered it, but told him to go ahead.

There is DEFINITELY, decreased air flow and on really hot days I may be sorry.

But at least for now I won’t have to breathe the dust.

I did read somewhere that either using a FRAM or K&N cabin filter allows for better circulation, so maybe aftermarket when it come time to change.

Happy for any additional thoughts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam