cai or high flow replacement filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious.

in this scenario I will use k&n air filter, but I know there are other great products out there. Is there any performance increase with getting a high flow air filter replacement instead of a cai?

I know by reading up on cai, is that you are just removing some of the resistance with airflow with the intake tubes in a cai, but would you get any kind of performance increase with just replacing the paper air filter with something a little better quality?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There is very little gain, if any, by just replacing the stock filter. Biggest benefit to a replacement oiled or dry filter is that they are re-usable, but you wont feel any performance gains from it. Cold air intakes make power by bringing in cooler outside air, removing some of the restriction in the factory accordion shaped intake hose, and also possibly forcing air into the motor depending on which kit you are looking at.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
To further that ram air systems are only effective when you reach a speed high enough to create a positive pressure in the intake system. Generally, that speed is 80+ mph. Lower than that and your engine is sucking it in faster than it is being forced it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
To further that ram air systems are only effective when you reach a speed high enough to create a positive pressure in the intake system. Generally, that speed is 80+ mph. Lower than that and your engine is sucking it in faster than it is being forced it.

I'm just curious, but where did you get the 80+ mph number? We have tested ram air scoops at the dragstrip and seen gains of up to 3mph in the 1/8th mile where you are barely running 80mph as you cross the traps. Forced air is very important when it comes to these hemi motors. They respond great to cool air.

OP
OP
arod412

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm only asking because if I get just a little improvement for $50 that's a lot better then spending $300+ you know. Next question....does the Mopar cai any better then the k&n or vram?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You wont feel any gain from a drop in filter unless your current filter is so dirty that it is restricting airflow.

The Vararam will show the best gains followed by S&B and Volant. The Mopar, AFE, and K&N are actually at the bottom of the list when it comes to performance.

OP
OP
arod412

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow...the way everybody talks about the k&n cai...I thought that was the best......I'm gonna do some more homework on the vararam and do some shopping. Just wanna get some stats and pricing.

Thanks all.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ever K&N I have ever ran was great for making noise and washing the filter that is about it. Acctually I did see some performance gain on an old chevy engine a buddy dropped into his truck.