Can dealer recalbrate speedometer for level & 35" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FS_Vaprco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to use the Quick Cal unit with no success, will not write to the 2018 2500 gas trucks. RC said has something to do with the 18 Rams auto tune software. Question is can the dealer do the same adjustment without causing me headaches.....concerned with this request it will open a can of worms. Not familiar with local dealers for Ram but with other brands they have all been less than cooperative and ignorant to simple changes.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer won't do it. You need a hypertech or something. They are about 200 bucks, and do a really good job. I plug it in, set the exact tire size, and speed-o is set! The dealer can't go up to a 35 with the tools they have from dodge. The Hypertech speedo healer is married to your truck, so it can't be used on multiple vehicles, so it's not likely they will have one you can use.

This is the one you'd need : https://www.amazon.com/Hypertech-752501-Speedometer-Calibrator/dp/B006RQ44O4

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2018's have additional ECU firewall security and likely the reason your device wouldn't work. I could be wrong but I'm not sure there's a device that will do the trick on a 2018 gas truck. Diesel guys have other options but only with tuning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find someone local with the AutoEngenuity tool, throw them a cold beer or in my case a cherry coke. You can insert any tire size you want.

Just read its a 2018, although I cant see why it wouldnt work. I havent tested a 2018 yet.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
2018s have an additional security module installed to help prevent hacking/unwanted access, so tools that work on a 17 may not on a 18.

Thorsax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Leave it alone. It will give you a good excuse to get out of a ticket! But if you must, try a tuner or programmer. They should allow for tire size calibration but check the companies website and make sure. Ask if not specified.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Leave it alone. It will give you a good excuse to get out of a ticket!
Just a reminder... I don't know about everywhere, but in WA, you can be cited with a "Fix-It" ticket with a line like that.

To the OP, give it a bit longer, AEV will have an updated ProCal module. Until that time comes, find the %-difference between your factory tires and the new ones (for example 35/32=1.093. So 60MPH x 1.093 = 65.58MPH).

Most state patrols won't pull you over up to around 9mph over posted speeds. Set cruise at speed limit and forget it. You won't have to worry about math calcs in your head unless you hit an 80mph posted speed limit.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Or you could simply do like I did on my '98 RAM 2500... Get the cheapest GPS you can find, install it where you can easily see it, and use that for your speedometer. The only downside to that is your odometer will be off which will mess with your service intervals and your "odometer statement" if/when you go to sell it.

I turned my '98 into a full-on hunting buggy when I bought my '12 RAM so I don't care what the odo says... I just do a service before each hunting season and call it a day...