Can you drive a 4x4 without the front Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a Differential bearing issue I want to take care of.

However I would like to be able to drive the truck while I do the repairs on the diff. :superhack:

I know there are links between the Front Diff and the engine mounts on the 4x4 so can I just remove the front diff. and still drive the truck. Also I don't know if this can have an adverse effect on the transfer case (can I just leave a input shaft in the Xcase to prevent fluid loss, etc.).

I know we can drive the truck without the front CV joints, but my issue is in the diif. I need to change the bearings to both output sides and potentially the carriers and pinion bearings.

Any help or idea is welcome.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think I've seen anyone try it but I don't see why not

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see why not. I can't picture the transfer case input, is it a slip yoke on the case? I'm pretty sure it just bolts up so no worries there.

You will also need to pull CV axles or bearings will be running dry since they still spin when the front tires turn.

Which leaves the wheel bearings not held together so you would need a stub shaft in there to torque them down.

IMO not worth all that effort...but to each his own.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't see why not. I can't picture the transfer case input, is it a slip yoke on the case? I'm pretty sure it just bolts up so no worries there.

You will also need to pull CV axles or bearings will be running dry since they still spin when the front tires turn.

My intent is to remove the whole differential with the housing, so CV will be removed as well for sure and nothing should be left spinning dry. I shoul look at the front drive shaft assembly to see if it is a slip yoke or not.

Which leaves the wheel bearings not held together so you would need a stub shaft in there to torque them down.

From looking around in parts manuals and parts store catalog the front hubs are the same for RWD and 4WD. I was assuming the CV joints don't hold the bearings in, especially since the bearings are sold as an assembly with the hub. (please correct me if I am wrong here).

I guess my main concern was to the effect of the diff. housing being structural as it is tied to one of the engine mounts.

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using tapatalk
XB1230
'02 RAM 1500 4x4 QC, 4.7l Magnum V8, Long bed.
170000miles and going... (and rusting...)

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
from the diagrams I have it looks like the Xfer case end of the Drive shaft is a slip yoke, but it also looks like the case side protrudes out of the case so I don't believe it would be an issue removing the shaft and driving without it.

In any case, I'll take the truck in the shop tomorrow and take pictures for everyone's benefit.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not at this time. I am waiting for the cold and snow to be gone. Will potentially be one of my first project in the spring time. However I can tell you after being under the truck a few times since those posts that the front diff can definitely be taken out and the truck can run without any issues without the half shaft and the front diff.

Of course you need to be careful not to engage the 4x4 if you do this but that is the main reason I waiting on winter to be done...

I did change the front diff oil not too long ago and I am unsure if the oil traces I am seeing are from leakage of the Axle itself. At least I know the pinion and gears are in absolute great condition. No play, just the minimal spec backlash, and barely any traces of wear. Heck the yellow marking compound used to adjust the backlash was still showing on some gear teeth...

I will be doing my front drop at the same time I will take this out from under the truck.
And I plan on an axle flip in the back. Looking at getting the truck at just a nice stance and make it easier to get in. Should also make the standard tires look a little less lost in the wheel wells... Where it is sitting right now I could fit some 33" no issues...

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just sell the truck to someone that needs 4x4 and buy a 2wd?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would it make more sense to buy a rebuilt front diff to swap out and then sell the original one once you get it fixed up?

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It actually only needs it's seals replaced and not even the pinion seal. I have a grinding noise when driving and thought originally it could be the front diff giving up. It ended up being my cheapo winter tires making that grinding noise. A few weeks ago I changed the front diff oil and found out the internals are in a "Like New" condition. So I might just get some seals and do it under the truck or when warmer may just take it off for a bit allowing me to work on it not lying on my back in my sloping down driveway...