Can you install PW front locker in 2018 Limited ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FS_Vaprco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious if the factory locker used in the Powerwagon version can also be installed in a non Powerwagon, specifically a 2018 Limited 2500 gas …..anyone done the locker in a non PW truck?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm curious as well. Would think it depends mostly on if they use the same diff up front and if the computer can be flashed for it. Have you looked at Arb air lockers? Probably cheaper, easier and less restrictive a system.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea It would be nice, but the reality is, that to do that with factory Ram Parts at the dealership is going to be Way, WAY more expensive then aftermarket setup like ARB or something. I like ARM myself, you can have on board Air then!

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes it can be done. A member on Cummins Forum posted a review a year or two ago. I think Randy's stocks the diff. It's a straight forward install and simpler than a ARB.

OP
OP
FS_Vaprco

FS_Vaprco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
great, I'll look at the Cummins forum. IF that's more cost prohibitive I'll look at an E locker or perhaps and ARB.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
While a PW electric locker can be done, it is not easy and not a straight swap because while HD Rams have the same AAM 9.25 front axle, the PW has a different carrier for the locker. I had also looked into this. Here are some of the comments from the person who did the swap:

"What a PITA. It fits but you need to be aware of 2 things if you are using stock gearing. You will need a new inner axle seal for the passenger side because it has to be removed to get the inner stub axle out of the carrier. You will also need to grind 1/8 inch or so off the ends of the back lash adjust lock pins. This carrier is about 1/8 inch offset from our stock carriers which brings the drivers side back lash/ preload adjuster out a little more than stock so the holes are partially covered but barely. The 2 piece axle makes it a PITA to do and you will need a special tool and anaerobic sealer to reinstall the inner axle seal."

Another member on the Cumminsforum had tried this as well but with a little different approach. He tried taking out the 1/8 inch from inside the pumpkin allowing for more room for the lock pins but ended up going through the pumpkin. So doable, yeah but not as easy as I would like it to be. Here is a link to one of the threads:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...936705-2015-power-wagon-e-locker-install.html