Can you trade in and pay cash

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hemipower95 2.0, Jan 11, 2017.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. Hootbro

Hootbro Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    There is "accounting tricks" a dealer can do to get you that finance rebate credit if you have hyper positive equity on your trade value.

Cliff notes is they basically cut you a check for the difference, you finance for the minimum needed to get the rebate and then you make one payment to pay it off on the first payment.

2. blrmkrl83

blrmkrl83 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You can probably get a better price by financing through the dealer. They often make money on the loan and there are sometimes rebates for financing through the manufacturer. Get the loan, but make sure there is no penalty for paying it off early or fees for getting the loan. When you get the first statement pay it off.

averageguy likes this.
  3. deerhunt799

deerhunt799 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    The dealer tells you that you need to finance it for X number of months, however, that's how many months they need you to make payments before they get the kickback from the finance company. Almost every one of my new vehicles I finance through the dealer for the added rebate then refinance through my credit union within a month or two. I've never been questioned.

baum likes this.
  4. drittal

drittal Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Nah. Cash is worthless. Send it to me and I'll recycle it for you free of charge. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. baum

baum Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Laramie
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    No offense to you but i laugh at this situation. Reason being is if a person has good credit an auto loan rate is negotiable at a dealer.

EX when i purchased my '13 camaro new from a dealer they asked me if i would finance through them. i said my CU can do 1.9 if you will beat it sure. guess what they did at 1.6. then to piss them off i paid it off in 4 months so they didnt get their kickback either.

Hell when i bought my current ram my finance manager had me at a 2.2% he called two banks with me in his office and got them to lower to 1.7%.

If a dealer get a kickback from a bank why do people care so much? they did the work to get you a loan so why shouldnt they get something for it. If you pay 1.9 from a dealer or 1.9 from a personal bank the payment is the same. With good credit loans most of the time dealers use small local CU's.

6. deerhunt799

deerhunt799 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I have no problems with a dealer getting a kickback, assuming they offer the lowest rate. Bought a Subaru a couple years back, they offered 1.49 whereas my CU was 1.75 so Subaru (Chase) Finance got the loan. When I bought my Ram, my CU was 3% lower than through the dealer. That's when I refi and could care less if the dealer gets their kickback.

7. MADDOG

MADDOG Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    Yes, you can do that as long as the deal and amount paid clears both vehicles with nothing left owing.

I did that on my 300 when I bought it. Dealers might not like it as they count on those financing contracts.

8. 69GWC

69GWC Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram Express QC
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi, 8sp
    Well that could be but they told me it was how I was able to get my truck for 27k if not I lost the rebate.
    It fine either way 4 months of interest is not that much in the grand sceem of things.

9. yillbs

yillbs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    No offense but that's just as ignorant. Cars are not investments lol, if you paid it off in 4 'moths , you still overpaid. Why didn't you just pay cash if you had hr cash.

Your logic is having good credit gets you a negotiating rate. Why pay ANYTHING if you don't have to. Its all about preference, I'd rather be debt free and cash poor than heavy in debt and more cash.

MANual_puller likes this.
  10. hemipower95 2.0

hemipower95 2.0 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    That's why I asked if I can pay off in cash, no more payments, although my truck lost $10k in value, that hurts