Can't get rid of belt noise!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
So my truck is a '94 1500 318 with a little over 300k and for the past 2 or so years I have been going through everything trying to get all of the little high mileage 24 year old truck problems worked out before the real restoration/build starts. Lately the big problem is I can't seem to get rid of this horrendous pulley/belt noise. It has a new water pump, new fan clutch, new a/c compressor, new p/s pump, new idler pulley, new tensioner, and new belt. Belt and tensioner and alternator have all been replaced at least 3 times in the past 6-8 months. If I replace the tensioner it will go away for about 2-3 weeks and then it slowly comes back. I thought about going to the dealer and getting the Mopar tensioner and belt after hearing that aftermarket tensioners can be problematic. This time when I started diagnosing the issue I sprayed silicone spray on the belt and it went away for a few minutes, sprayed the tensioner with the same result, then I sprayed the alternator pulley (from the inside away from the belt) and the problem went away instantly and stayed gone for a good 30 minutes. Obviously this sounds like a bad alternator bearing but I have replaced it several times too! What am I missing here? What do I need to do to get rid of this permanently? Has anyone else had this issue?

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it's the squealing sound of the belt slipping then silicone is probably not the right ring to spray on.
There is a product called Belt Dressing, ask your local parts shop.

Squealing V belts are mostly from insufficient belt tension or the wrong belt size and usually it start when the engine is cold.
I have this un my Isuzu D-Max, if the tension drops over the time the V belts squeal for 2 minutes in the morning because they are slightly humid.

If it went away for some weeks after changing the tensioner it is probably the tensioner again,
wrong tension due wrong tensioner or bad quality tensioner.
It went also away for short time spaying silicone on it it, this sounds to me as a belt/pulley/tensioner problem

Faulty bearings sound different than a squealing belt, but as you changed already almost everything,
the noise can come from:
- engine block bearing of the fan and belt pulley
- A/C compressor bearing or internal A/C compressor problem

You should try to fugure out from where the noise is coming, this will help to near down the reason.

Chris

PPExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a similar problem with my 99 Dakota R/T. After replacing all kinds of parts and 3 different belts, about a year of bs. Even carried a bar of soap in the truck for a while for a temporary fix so I didn't embarrass myself. Had a buddy that worked for Goodyear said to try a Goodyear Gatorback belt. Never made another noise after that.

The Gatorback has a little different design that gets better traction on the pulleys than a regular belt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: