Can't unlock the door....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steevensi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
Hi,

I'm new here and I like this forum a lot. Lot of stuff here.

I have a 2001 Ram 1500.
Since this morning, I can't unlock the driver door with my remote. I hear a noise, but nothing happens.
The key does not unlock the door either. The key turns both direction (lock and unlock) but nothing happens, it stays lock.

The passenger door won't unlock either with the remote, but I can unlock it with the key.

I'm a bit at lost. Can the motor that unlock the door be dead? I doubt it cause I can lock the doors with the remote. I don't think the motor could work in one direction but not the other...

Anybody had a similar problem before?

Cheers

OP
OP
S

steevensi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
By the way, when I'm in the truck, I can't unlock the doors with the switch in the door panel.....

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
sounds like linkage may have fallen off ,remove door panel and investigate
brianj

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
The motors can die, however your first step is making sure you are receiving power. I would change battery in remotes(just to be safe), then check to make sure your unlock/lock switch is receiving power. If all that has power or you want to skip over, the next step would be to remove the door panels, plastic cover liner inside, and inspect the linkages under power and just by wiggling. If linkages are good check power to lock motor actuator.

I had a car a long time ago that would lock but not unlock on driver side. Turned out the linkage was broken on the actuator and it could lock, but not unlock. never did fix it on that car

OP
OP
S

steevensi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
i removed the door card and I saw that the rod thatallow the door to unlock was unhooked from the little purple clip. I clipped and now i can lock and unlock the door with the key.

I still have to change the battery in the remote.
I'll see if it fixes it.

OP
OP
S

steevensi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
I found the problem. The wires was cut at the relay box. The previous owner hacked and slashed a lot of things in the RAM. Wires are weled back and everything works like its supposed to.

Thanks for the hints,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963