Car won't start in the AM unless I disconnect/reconnect the battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I leave the battery connected overnight (or any long period of time),
the next morning attempt to start it,
it won't start,
I disconnect the negative terminal,
leave it disconnected for a couple minutes,
reconnect the negative terminal,
truck starts.
No error codes, any ideas what this could be?

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 3.7L V6 Manual RWD 2-door Regular cab

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
When it won't start, does it still have power to everything else? If so then it seems like the truck needs a reset every time, so that would point me in the direction of the tipcm,ecm, check the ASD relay, have the pcm scanned to look deep in the computer for codes that don't show on other scanners. Good luck bud, keep us posted.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
The battery measures 12.3 volts which is exactly where it should be.
The starter won't crank but it will attempt to in the sense that I'll hear only that first "bite" from the starter but the electrical (as indicated by a blank gauge cluster) goes dead after that.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It's tripping a relay somewhere, check all your grounds,body,chassis,engine,etc. anything that looks broken,melted,dry rotted,corroded,etc. replace it.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
So it has nothing to do with the starter itself I take it.

From what I could see, no (ground) wires are in poor condition.

How would I identify specifically what's a ground wire?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
So it has nothing to do with the starter itself I take it.

From what I could see, no (ground) wires are in poor condition.

How would I identify specifically what's a ground wire?

Any wire that is bolted to frame, body, engine, that doesn't lead anywhere else is 99% a ground wire. There is quite a few of them so take your time and unbolt them, wire brush the ends and bolt back on, maybe spray some terminal protection on them.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
A mechanic friend of mine said it's likely a battery cable issue and to first disconnect the negative and use a jumper to connect the negative terminal to the chassis and see if it starts.
If it starts properly then it's (fortunately the negative battery cable)

I tried it and got no power at all.

Upon inspection of the cable itself it's not a standard single cable, it's three cables.

Is it possible to perform the recommended test given this configuration or is the only way to perform this test is buy a new negative battery cable?

Attachments

• ramngbattcable.jpg
    ramngbattcable.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I left the negative cables connected and additionally placed a jumper cable only on the negative terminal and clipped onto the chassis so the ground should be secure. the only difference was that the electrical system didn't shut completely off. I could just take the key out and put it back in and try again so I'm starting to think this is pointing to the starter itself, make sense?

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Cleaned each multiplug under the fuse panel individually with a wirebrush then contact cleaner. Fires back up now.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Cleaned each multiplug under the fuse panel individually with a wirebrush then contact cleaner. Fires back up now.

I'm glad you figured it out bud. This thread hasn't come up on my screen for some reason, I'm not sure why, sorry for leaving you hanging dude, that's not my style but good work figuring that electrical **** out. I hate electrical problems with a passion.
O and put a little dielectric grease on all your fuses, it'll keep them cleaner longer.

Last edited: