CCFL's or LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirLothar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hey guys, I am in the process of upgrading my headlights, and want to move from filaments to something that is brighter, and that looks better. Could someone explain please what the difference is between CCFL's and LED's? I get the general concept I think, in that CCFL's use a gas as opposed to just current, but I don't know what the downsides are to each, especially when it comes to installation. Do both require inverters or something similar? What brands are going to be the most reliable? What sites should I use? Thanks in advance!:happy107:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Your question actually doesn't concern the actual headlight driving bulb. Those options are for the halos and decorations inside

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can order LED headlight bulbs (not recommended) or xenon gas bulbs (not recommended without building a custom headlight). Why do you wish to get away from a filament? Literally billions of vehicles use a standard halogen filament bulb. There's options to upgrade them too

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I alway prefer LED over CCFL, LEDs are likely to last longer.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Dapepper has a point, LEDs are garbage in just about any housing not designed for them. In housings designed for LED, they are pretty awesome. If you put LED bulbs in the standard housing, you stand at best to get an unorganized pattern that projects light from a brighter bulb about as far as stock with a normal intensity bulb.

I put LEDs in mine for two reasons, 1. that was years ago before I learned of the projection issues 2. my lenses are so fogged up that they are about stock brightness if you look at them from a few feet away.

If you want a brighter bulb, check out some Sylvania SilverStar Ultra, they are bright as hell without ruining the factory pattern.