CD player won’t eject disc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
09 SLT BIG HORN

OEM CD player will not eject the disc on command. Push the button multiple times-no dice

Hold the eject button down-no dice

A few days later-disc ejects at random.

Time for a new CD player or what? Any fix?

THANKs

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The same thing in my 2012. Sometimes the CD player wouldn't work for months! Wouldn't eject or play. I could hear it 'trying' to eject (a 'click' and 'hum' when hitting the eject button). Mine's the second-lowest radio offered: CD, Sirius and Aux plug, that's it.. (I forget the option #).

I finally got sick and tired of it and took the radio out last weekend, and took it apart. It's easy to get out, just remove the top two screws on the face-plate (top of the dash under the rubber pad above the radio), then the whole face pulls off with gentle pulling (search youtube). It's held on with a number of metal spring clips. Anyway, 4 screws and the radio pulls straight out.

I took the radio apart thinking maybe the CD mechanism was dirty or possibly a mechanism 'catching' or sticking. Anyway, to my surprise, it looked spotless inside not even a spec of dust on the CD lens. I removed the CD mechanism (easy) and the little eject motor so I could manually rotate the gear to eject the CD. I'm pretty decent with electronics, but looking it over closely, I didn't see anything wrong that caught my eye. Everything was clean, lubricated, no leaking or dry capacitors or obvious cold solder joints, or broken solder connections, nothing 'catching' or seeming to be sticking. Like I say, nothing jumped out. So I put it all back together, wiggled all the wire connections to make sure they were solid, then put it back in the truck.

That was 2 weeks ago and so far it's worked flawlessly, which it hasn't done in years. I wish I could tell you specifically what's changed, but at least for now it working fine and ejects CD's like it should. How long it will stay this way? ...hard to say, hopefully forever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The same thing in my 2012. Sometimes the CD player wouldn't work for months! Wouldn't eject or play. I could hear it 'trying' to eject (a 'click' and 'hum' when hitting the eject button). Mine's the second-lowest radio offered: CD, Sirius and Aux plug, that's it.. (I forget the option #).

I finally got sick and tired of it and took the radio out last weekend, and took it apart. It's easy to get out, just remove the top two screws on the face-plate (top of the dash under the rubber pad above the radio), then the whole face pulls off with gentle pulling (search youtube). It's held on with a number of metal spring clips. Anyway, 4 screws and the radio pulls straight out.

I took the radio apart thinking maybe the CD mechanism was dirty or possibly a mechanism 'catching' or sticking. Anyway, to my surprise, it looked spotless inside not even a spec of dust on the CD lens. I removed the CD mechanism (easy) and the little eject motor so I could manually rotate the gear to eject the CD. I'm pretty decent with electronics, but looking it over closely, I didn't see anything wrong that caught my eye. Everything was clean, lubricated, no leaking or dry capacitors or obvious cold solder joints, or broken solder connections, nothing 'catching' or seeming to be sticking. Like I say, nothing jumped out. So I put it all back together, wiggled all the wire connections to make sure they were solid, then put it back in the truck.

That was 2 weeks ago and so far it's worked flawlessly, which it hasn't done in years. I wish I could tell you specifically what's changed, but at least for now it working fine and ejects CD's like it should. How long it will stay this way? ...hard to say, hopefully forever.

Thanks a lot sir!!! Appreciate your response. Just now saw this reply!!

OP
OP
M

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I followed the YouTube videos to remove the dash (super easy) and removed and unplugged the stereo (pretty easy as well), and rechecked the connections but my disc will still not eject.

I also unhooked the negative battery cable overnight to reset the system but still no joy.

This sucks

Welcoming any other ideas.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it be the actual eject button that is failing?

OP
OP
M

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t know. I press the button and it says “EJECTING.....” on the display but it won’t spit out the disc. I used to hear gears whining when this first started but now I hear nothing. Just that display message