Ceramic coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DODGEMANABC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm considering doing a ceramic coating on my truck. Is this something easily done myself or do you recommend a professional? Is there a brand anyone recommends? My truck has 3200 miles on it and the paint should be in good shape. Although I will still use the clay bar. Any suggestions are appreciated.e8cd066a57d6ef16d3fefeb198d67c85.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would recommend getting the ceramic coating professionally done, unless you have the lighting and the tools to do your own buffing to remove swirl marks. My brand new 17' Sport had around 4000 and some odd miles when I had mine done and there was 15 hours of buffing (mainly on the bed of the truck to remove swirl marks). My truck was buffed head to toe and front to back. If you do not do any paint correction or buffing and there are scratches on your truck, the ceramic coating more intensify/magnify the scratches.

Here is the link to my Ceramic Coating post.

Another update: Ceramic Coating on 2017 RAM Sport!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...orum.com/showthread.php?t=105087&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gyeon is a top brand for coatings. I recommend you join the AUTOGEEK AND Autopia forum. Lots of professionals who detail for a living.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my truck done with Cquartz Finest and it is AWESOME!!
Professionally done, as if anyone wanted to do it themselves, they wouldn't be able to. (They wouldn't be able to get the product.) It is only sold to certified and approved detail shops and must be applied as so.
The shop I go to got voted one of the top 9 in the U.S.A. by Auto Weekly magazine. :buffer: :favorites13:

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don't have the products or know how you probably better off having someone else do it.

Prep is everything when applying a coating. Wash, iron-X, clay, compound/polish, paint prep (to remove polish residue), 1-3 layers of coating, then most of them require a 12-24 hour cure time if you don't have IR lamps.

Some of the easier to apply consumer coatings are Sonax CC36, Optimum Gloss-Coat, Gyeon Can Coat, McKee's 37 Paint coating, Wolfgang Uber, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2, and the combo of CarPro Essence + CQuartz to name a few.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend having it done professionally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Does ceramic coating eliminate orange peel?
Is it permanent?
Do you still polish and wax it?

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it permanent?

Does ceramic coating eliminate orange peel? No.
Is it permanent? Yes/no. It last 3-5 years. I cannot speak for other products, but the owner of JaxWax put on my ceramic coating. The package also came with specific ceramic coating soap and ceramic refresh detail spray to keep rejuvenating the coating - which can make it last the life of the vehicle.
Do you still polish and wax it? No. Part of the process is stripping all the old polish/wax off the truck before applying it. Again, I cannot speak for other products, but I have a specific ceramic detail spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it permanent?

No, not unless you wetsand as part of the paint prep.

Semi-Permanent, 1-5 years for most coatings.

Polishing will remove coatings, wax is optional. Some companies have products that you apply weekly/monthly that can boost or maintain the coating i.e Carpro Reload, Gyeon Booster.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience, it does not eliminate orange peel. It is not permanent, you can expect anywhere from 2-5 years longevity depending on how you care for it. Some coatings you can apply wax too, however because of the coating it will not bond to the paint and will not last very long. Some coatings have a product you use on a predetermined time frame to enhance the longevity of the coating. You can research autopia and autogeek for more information about coatings.
Jay

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did mine and was very pleased with the results I say go for it

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
I had my truck done with Cquartz Finest and it is AWESOME!!
Professionally done, as if anyone wanted to do it themselves, they wouldn't be able to. (They wouldn't be able to get the product.) It is only sold to certified and approved detail shops and must be applied as so.
The shop I go to got voted one of the top 9 in the U.S.A. by Auto Weekly magazine. :buffer: :favorites13:

just put in a quote request for this at a local shop

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how long did it take them ,and how long were you without your truck?
I dropped it off at 8am and I drove off at 6pm on the dot.
They had 3 people working on it. They started it as soon as I got there. They do one vehicle a day.
I'm going to a different place this time as the place I went to before moved and are further away. I actually have 2 places in mind.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much money does it cost for a pro to do the correct job because it looks like hard work and you got to know how to use the product.:Caffeine:

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much money does it cost for a pro to do the correct job because it looks like hard work and you got to know how to use the product.:Caffeine:
Depends on how much work needs done to get the paint to perfect condition. I've seen quotes as low as $900 and as high as $2,000

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963