Ceramic Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Wondering how well this holds up to automatic car washes. Winters are too cold to wash by hand.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Price will vary depending on how much paint correction you need. We payed 2k for the gold lifetime exterior, interior and 2 windows tinted. Plus i had them add a couple coats on the door jambs.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Wondering how well this holds up to automatic car washes. Winters are too cold to wash by hand.
Water only at the car wash will get you by pretty good. It blows most of it off. They dont recommend the harsh touch car washes.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Water only at the car wash will get you by pretty good. It blows most of it off. They dont recommend the harsh touch car washes.

Thanks, that’s what I figured. I wash by hand spring summer and fall. The gas station touchless wash would be an option for winter, but they don’t blow water off as good as the automatic wash. Drying the truck by hand at or below freezing is the worst. Sometimes I wish I still lived in Florida lol.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks, that’s what I figured. I wash by hand spring summer and fall. The gas station touchless wash would be an option for winter, but they don’t blow water off as good as the automatic wash. Drying the truck by hand at or below freezing is the worst. Sometimes I wish I still lived in Florida lol.

Have you watched videos of the water beading off vehicles with ceramic coatings ?? Just driving out of the car wash will take the water right off.... pretty cool stuff.

Maybe even just turning up the radio for a minute would do the trick get the bass pumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Have you watched videos of the water beading off vehicles with ceramic coatings ?? Just driving out of the car wash will take the water right off.... pretty cool stuff.

Maybe even just turning up the radio for a minute would do the trick get the bass pumping

Lol, yeah! Detail **** to say the least!

I’d have to see video of dirty stuck on snow mixed with road treatment chemicals before I drop four figures on ceramic coating.

On the flip side, I have found lots of DIY ceramic coatings. I may experiment on my own. My brilliant black is still nearly perfect. There’re a couple of small nicks, which I’m ok with. I’m no stranger to clay bar, and I can remove swirls with polish. I’d have a lot less heartache with DIY in case the ceramic fails during or by the end of next winter. Plus it gives me something to do lol.

Does anyone know if ceramic coating is safe on vinyl stripes? I’d like to apply it on my challenger as well but the hood, roof, and trunk have decals.

4EC2DD56-EEF2-4DEE-8604-17693000AEF3.jpeg

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

I’d have to see video of dirty stuck on snow mixed with road treatment chemicals before I drop four figures on ceramic coating.

On the flip side, I have found lots of DIY ceramic coatings. I may experiment on my own. My brilliant black is still nearly perfect. There’re a couple of small nicks, which I’m ok with. I’m no stranger to clay bar, and I can remove swirls with polish. I’d have a lot less heartache with DIY in case the ceramic fails during or by the end of next winter. Plus it gives me something to do lol.

Does anyone know if ceramic coating is safe on vinyl stripes? I’d like to apply it on my challenger as well but the hood, roof, and trunk have decals.

View attachment 123000

That’s one hell of a sexy garage you got there!! Two of my fav vehicles!!!

I’ve heard people say they can apply it to vinyl/ wraps etc... honestly from what I’ve heard this stuff lasts and usually come with some sort of warranty should it degrade faster than advertised. They have varying degrees of how long it’ll last and the price steadily increases depending on how long you want it to last. The place my buddy went to has a yearly maintenance they do and they take the time to inspect the work and fix whatever has to be done

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

Jrod.....I am like you and decided on doing a DIY ceramic coating on my 2017 Ram. It took me 2 days to do. What helped in a way is that my truck was only 2 months old when I did this last August, so road grime and debris was minimal. I followed the same steps that an installer of coatings would do. Complete wash using a pressure washer and then washing again by hand; next was clay bar the whole truck; after the clay I then polished my Ram with an orbital polisher using Menzerna Polish (3500). For the ceramic coating I used GTechniq Crystal Serum Light (there is a Crystal Serum Ultra but sold only to detail shops for installation by them). Then on top of the Crystal Serum I applied a second product they recommend called EXO. The results where great and water beads off just like the video someone above posted. I live in NJ and this winter with salt on the road I found washing my Ram way easier. I would recommend DIY to anyone who is handy and works on cars/trucks. Its all about the prep and willing to spend 2 days doing it. Total cost for me was about $250 including pads, polish, and coatings. Hope some of this helps...[/QUOTE]

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Jrod.....I am like you and decided on doing a DIY ceramic coating on my 2017 Ram. It took me 2 days to do. What helped in a way is that my truck was only 2 months old when I did this last August, so road grime and debris was minimal. I followed the same steps that an installer of coatings would do. Complete wash using a pressure washer and then washing again by hand; next was clay bar the whole truck; after the clay I then polished my Ram with an orbital polisher using Menzerna Polish (3500). For the ceramic coating I used GTechniq Crystal Serum Light (there is a Crystal Serum Ultra but sold only to detail shops for installation by them). Then on top of the Crystal Serum I applied a second product they recommend called EXO. The results where great and water beads off just like the video someone above posted. I live in NJ and this winter with salt on the road I found washing my Ram way easier. I would recommend DIY to anyone who is handy and works on cars/trucks. Its all about the prep and willing to spend 2 days doing it. Total cost for me was about $250 including pads, polish, and coatings. Hope some of this helps...
[/QUOTE]

Thanks man!

I’m the same way. I simply like doing things myself, within reason. I enjoy the satisfaction of doing my own work!

Next month should be warm enough to do the job. I don’t take much vacation so I may take a few days off just to work this out lol.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are lots and lots of U tube videos about how to install ceramic coatings. Autopia and autogeek both have some as well as some of the manufactures. IMHO the preparation is the MOST important part. If you don't do all the corrections, you will be able to see any imperfection through the coating. The other important thing is to make sure the coating is evenly applied. It's easy to end up with high spots. While these videos make it look pretty easy to do a coating, it's really pretty labor intensive considering the steps you need to take before you even get to the coating. In the end I will say it is VERY satisfying to see your truck when you finish. Remember a coating does not mean that you don't have to do any type of maintenance. A coating will also not make your truck immune to scratches. If you continually drive through those damn tunnels of destruction(touch car wash) you're going to get some scratches--maybe not as many but they will be there. If you have to use a car wash, please try to find a touchless one. Good luck, Im sure your trucks will look great when your finished, and you've saved yourself a pretty good chunk of change by doing it yourself.
Jay

Last edited:

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
They did an awesome job! Always wondered about the pricing on the ceramic coats

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
You get out, what you put in. Patience and prep are key. Great job guys.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO the largest part of the charge for a ceramic coating job is the preparation. The actual installation of the coating itself is a relatively small part of the complete process, although it is very important and must be done correctly. The surface prep including paint correction is the portion that is the most time consuming and labor intensive.
Jay

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I just got a price for my Black Laramie. $1500 + 200-400 for paint correction, hopefully it will be closer to 200 since its a new truck. I'm pretty much convinced to have it done. I want the paint protection from sun and the road salt and stuff. So i'm gonna try to save up for it before the end of the year.