Cetane boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDNUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, new to the cummins side but not to the ram forum. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Cetane boost. Worth it, not worth it, which one to use, stuff like that. Thanks. I have an 07 2500, 6.7, emissions all deleted.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hI mdnusa,

Can't really tell ya on the cetane booster but you live in an area that gets pretty cold you would probably do well from something like powerstroke that prevents gelling and i believe boosts the cetane. I haven't had my 5.9 for the winter yet but I use powerstroke in my oil furnace and it does a really good job.
Cetane boost is sorta equivalent to octane booster for gas. It determines how easy the fuel will combust under compression.

preachp

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Diesel Kleen is what I recomend if your going to use a one. Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle for summer. Diesel Kleen white bottle for winter. The Cetane boost is really not the important part of these additives it is the lubercations in them. These help with additional lubrication of the injectors and the injection pump. The ULSD has had the lubrication removed from the fuel when the sulphur is removed and is good to be added back. The common rail injectors have a needle that moves inside the injector and has very close tolerance and must be lubed. The injector will fire 2 or 3 times, depending on what year truck you own, for each power stroke. The only difference between the white and silver is the white bottle has some anti-gel for cold winter time weather. Hope this helps answer you question.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
As CTD said, there are other benefits to running an additive besides cetane. I run Archoil fuel treatment. Every 2nd or 3rd tank in the warmer months and every tank in the winter.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I use Fbomb one bottle treats 500 gallons (one ounce per fill up) my truck only has 7,000 miles so it's hard to say how it reall affects it. Figure it's cheap prevention

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use Fbomb one bottle treats 500 gallons (one ounce per fill up) my truck only has 7,000 miles so it's hard to say how it reall affects it. Figure it's cheap prevention

Unless it further lowering fuel lubricity like a number of "it can't hurt" additives do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452