Changed spark plugs, and all heck breaks loose.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Dtfanning, Aug 12, 2017.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Dtfanning

Dtfanning Member

Ram Year:
    1999 Ram 1500 2wd
    Engine:
    5.9L
    My 1999 Ram 1500, with 5.9L and 51k miles was running just fine. It bought a new air filter for it, and while I was at the parts store, I thought I may as well get some spark plugs for it, seeing as the original spark plugs were still installed. Get home, pop in the air filter, and change the old spark plugs with a new copper core plug. Crank it up, truck will barely idle, and is knocking horribly. I shut it off immediately. Pull out the plugs, double check the gap, all was well. Put the old plugs back in, crank the truck, but the same issue. Truck was running fine on the old plugs before I pulled them, but now it will barely idle with them as well....same symptoms as the new plugs. What the heck am I missing.....any ideas on what could have happened? Only thing I did was air filter and plugs. Im stumped.

2. crazy_luck

crazy_luck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    First thing that comes to mind, you did one plug at a time and left the others alone (plug and plug wire)? I've seen people pull all plug wires at one time and manage to mix them up when putting everything back together, which will screw up the timing, causing it to not idle with a bad knock.

3. Dtfanning

Dtfanning Member

Ram Year:
    1999 Ram 1500 2wd
    Engine:
    5.9L
    Yeah, one at a time. Made sure not to mix up the wires.

4. Micchi

Micchi Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2L
    Sounds like what happened to me when I mixed up my wires. Maybe double check that they're correct?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Verify your wires are fuctioning correctly.
    Sounds as if when you messed with it you broke one or more wires inside and it's causing the truck to misfire badly.

6. SYKRAMMAN

SYKRAMMAN Senior Member

Ram Year:
    02 qcsb slt 3.92's
    Engine:
    4.7 Puppy
    Check your firering order against cap/rotor, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, the cylinder numbers are stamped on the heads for reference.

7. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    +1 for checking your firing order. Trust me, it's a lot easier to screw up than you might think.

I had a 4-cylinder Honda Prelude a few years back and I decided to change the plugs and wires. Like a noob, I pulled all the wires off at once because I was "certain" where cylinder 1 was on the dizzy. So, finished the job and lo and behold, the engine wouldn't start. First thing I thought was "firing order" but of course, being stubborn and insistent that I didn't screw it up, I started screwing with a bunch of other stuff that of course did nothing.

Finally, I conceded and pulled up a diagram. Turns out my firing order was correct, however the wires were all advanced 90 degrees on the cap! :idiot: Needless to say, replaced the wires to where they were supposed to be and engine fired right up.

8. 07MegaCabRam

07MegaCabRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    I wonder if you broke the wires pulling them out. Check 1 by 1 if they are sparking.

9. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    ^ Certainly something to consider. You know how back in elementary school, they teach you to always pull out a cord by it's connector and never by the cord itself? Spark plug wires are no different. Always grab ahold of the boot and pull them out that way.

So, did you pull the wires out by the plug boot or by the wire itself?

10. Dtfanning

Dtfanning Member

Ram Year:
    1999 Ram 1500 2wd
    Engine:
    5.9L
    Yes, I pulled all wires one at a time, and I pulled them by the boot. Regardless, I just finished replacing the plug wires with new ones. Problem is probably 50% better, but definitely not back to normal. Im stumped I guess I'll take it to the shop.