Changing helper spring weight rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pawpaw01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey all, I installed a set of Hellwig Pro series helper springs a few years back, they are 2500 lb. They are just 2 leaf style but make my truck very stiff at the rear. Has anyone taken one leaf out to help soften up the ride while not towing. I don’t tow much of anything anymore but don’t want to remove the entire spring kit. I would appreciate any input from anyone who may have done this or any advice from those familiar with suspension. I have a 2006 1500 quad cab that has not been modified a lot, just some basic mods. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the exact reason I didn't go that route as far as helper springs. I got an air bag kit instead and I love it!! It can hold 5000lbs and when not towing just let the air out and you have a factory ride again (but better). I bought them because my camper made my truck squat too much, but with the air bags just add air and get the rear up even with the front. Plus you get a smoother ride. The kit I got is the Air Lift load lifter 5000 kit. Comes with everything you need and is very easy to install. Nothing special needed. I even bought a small electric pump that I keep under my seat to pump them back up.

SDTruckSprings.com is where you can find it. It's like $240 I think

OP
OP
P

pawpaw01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I appreciate your input. I’m going to try removing one leaf and see if that will help,if not I will change out to air bags. Thanks bigpoppa

Bigpoppa99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem. And with the air bags if you tow often you can even get fancy and get the on board compressor and inflate/deflate on the go. I didnt go that route because my heaviest towing is my camper and thats just a handfull of times a year

OP
OP
P

pawpaw01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I finally removed the one leaf from my helper springs yesterday. With only using the one leaf I am very pleased with the improvement of the ride when not pulling a trailer or unloaded. Time will tell how it does when I do pull a load, but lately about all I haul is my golf cart trailer. Anyway, thanks for your opinions, I will update if I have any further issues.