Changing the gear selector/shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
Can a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab (8 speed) use this part, 5LP381X9AA?

I have the floor console/bucket seats but I want a floor selector/shifter in the floor console.

If this part is not compatible, are there compatible parts that will work with plan?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is no mechanical linkage to the transmission for gear selection with the 8 speed, it is "shift by wire". The only "mechanical" link to the 8 speed is the park release lever that's used for emergency release if the engine doesn't start.
You could pay to have an engineering firm design you an electronic "floor shifter", you may be able to recoup the cost by selling them to others that whine about the shift knob.
To get a floor shifter, sell the truck and buy a older one that still has the 6 speed transmission.
With the recent ability for tuners to modify the TCM, have it modified to have steering wheel paddle shifters if you really want to play with something while you drive.

Truthfully unless it is an actual manual transmission, I don't get what the fascination is about having a floor shifter, especially in a truck. They are going the way of the dinosaur, transmission will all be going to "shift by wire"

Blade Runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
Too bad the shifter in the Rebel TRX is just a one-off...

cn016_018rmat498inuq4c1p5its3iafd8m0b.jpg

OP
OP
J

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
There is no mechanical linkage to the transmission for gear selection with the 8 speed, it is "shift by wire". The only "mechanical" link to the 8 speed is the park release lever that's used for emergency release if the engine doesn't start.
You could pay to have an engineering firm design you an electronic "floor shifter", you may be able to recoup the cost by selling them to others that whine about the shift knob.
To get a floor shifter, sell the truck and buy a older one that still has the 6 speed transmission.
With the recent ability for tuners to modify the TCM, have it modified to have steering wheel paddle shifters if you really want to play with something while you drive.

Truthfully unless it is an actual manual transmission, I don't get what the fascination is about having a floor shifter, especially in a truck. They are going the way of the dinosaur, transmission will all be going to "shift by wire"

I want a floor shifter because I want like to shift gears beyond pressing a steering wheel button and a floor shifter makes shifting more practical.

I could careless about fuel savings with an eight speed transmission.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
As mentioned above it is not possible to add a manual linked shifter to an electronic shift equipped truck.

-Benny

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Too bad the shifter in the Rebel TRX is just a one-off...

cn016_018rmat498inuq4c1p5its3iafd8m0b.jpg

It's probably just the Grand Cherokee one with a different lever. I'd be very surprised if the one from the GC or the new Durango wouldn't work. Getting it mounted and looking nice might be the hardest part.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As mentioned above it is not possible to add a manual linked shifter to an electronic shift equipped truck.

-Benny

Would it not be possible to develop a manual shifting (knob, lever, paddle....whatever) that could be added to the steering column or dashboard that would work in parallel with the up/down shifting buttons on the steering collumn? So rather that shifting gears like you're adjusting the volume on the radio or speed on the cruise control, you can slap a stick or apaddle (left or right,,,,forward or back)...whatever....like a real auto-stick?

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Would it not be possible to develop a manual shifting (knob, lever, paddle....whatever) that could be added to the steering column or dashboard that would work in parallel with the up/down shifting buttons on the steering collumn? So rather that shifting gears like you're adjusting the volume on the radio or speed on the cruise control, you can slap a stick or apaddle (left or right,,,,forward or back)...whatever....like a real auto-stick?

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Below is a photo of an Allen Bradley 800T industrial toggle switch. You can get these in two-position, spring loaded for $45 on EBAY or around $125 new. They're very rugged and used for industrial control applications. They look like a small gear shift knob, complete with a boot. I'll bet you a box of donuts you could mount this in that cavernous center console (maybe rip out that useless phone holder tray.....you shouldn't have your phone on while your driving anyway....keep it in your pocket.) Then all you gotta do is find the wires that run to the little Gear +/- buttons on your dashboard, route them to your industrial toggle switch and .....voila, an auto stick for your RAM.

s-l64.jpg

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All

Anything is possible with an unlimited budget and yes this would look like the best route if someone really wanted to do so.

-Benny

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my 08 Charger there were guys modding their steering wheels with AMG paddles and wiring harnesses to do just that with the NAG1 five speed and, I believe, early ZF 8 speeds.

What’s to say you can’t buy the newer Charger/Challenger (2012-recent w/8 speed) paddles and wiring and trying it out?

The tough part is figuring how to wire it and what to splice into.

Last edited: