Charging camper battery from 7 pin connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Really basic question here; I searched and didn't find an answer.

I have a '17 3500 CTD, and a 10' cabover camper. I have a battery in the camper for my 12v needs, and I'd like to charge it from the 7 pin connector.

The plug & wiring is rated at 30 amps. Is there any internal regulation on the circuit to limit the current to 30 amps, or will I pop a fuse if the camper battery demands more than 30?

If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks - loving my truck so far.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Really basic question here; I searched and didn't find an answer.

I have a '17 3500 CTD, and a 10' cabover camper. I have a battery in the camper for my 12v needs, and I'd like to charge it from the 7 pin connector.

The plug & wiring is rated at 30 amps. Is there any internal regulation on the circuit to limit the current to 30 amps, or will I pop a fuse if the camper battery demands more than 30?

If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks - loving my truck so far.

No problem- just plug it into the 7 pin and it will charge off the alternator just like the truck battery. I don't understand where your getting the 30 amps as that usually is the AC rated amps on an RV.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just like your house, if you exceed 30 amps, whatever is asking for that much in the camper will pop it's fuse IN the camper.....thus limiting the current thru the wiring.

If the battery itself is somehow taking 30 amps, the alternator should limit how much it sends it thru the PCM/BCM circuitry, and you should get a warning light on the dash for the high current draw.

I know on my 97 cummins, when the grid heater relays failed, they stuck shut, so they were on constantly, and I got a warning light on the dash letting me know the current draw was high (don't remember exactly what it said).

Of course, this was 13 yrs ago, & I was hauling 12k behind me, in the middle of the night on the PA turnpike in the middle of a nasty snowstorm. Took 3 exits to find a hotel that had a room to let me stay in till morning to try & fix it, and that night is the most I have ever paid for a hotel room @ 250 for 1 night.

OP
OP
P

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
No problem- just plug it into the 7 pin and it will charge off the alternator just like the truck battery. I don't understand where your getting the 30 amps as that usually is the AC rated amps on an RV.

The 30 amps is the rating on the 7 pin connector circuit. I hope there's something in the truck electronics to limit the current to 30 amps.

If I run the camper battery down to 10.5 volts, it's going to be able to take more that 30 amps. So if the battery can take a 40 amp charge (for example) does the truck pass it 30 amps, because the charging system is designed to do that, or will it send 40 and pop a fuse?

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Alternator will regulate the charging amps to the battery. No worries..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the battery itself is somehow taking 30 amps, the alternator should limit how much it sends it thru the PCM/BCM circuitry, and you should get a warning light on the dash for the high current draw.

:happy160:

Last edited:

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The 7pin plug in the truck will charge the trailer battery.

Be careful though, there is constant 12V at 7pin regardless of key position and running or not. If plugged in for extended time, with a weak trailer battery, you can end up with a dead/weak truck battery.

Also, trailer batteries are deep cycle and are best charged by a trickle charger designed for deep cycle batteries.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything that is a high draw in your trailer, such as a/c, microwave, etc will not even turn on unless you're plugged in with your 30amp cord or have the generator on.
If you simply have your 7pin trailer plugged into your truck, all you're doing is charging your trailer batteries.

OP
OP
P

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Anything that is a high draw in your trailer, such as a/c, microwave, etc will not even turn on unless you're plugged in with your 30amp cord or have the generator on.
If you simply have your 7pin trailer plugged into your truck, all you're doing is charging your trailer batteries.

I don't have any high draw 120v items in the camper. Other than recharging my laptop and running the coffee grinder, I won't be using AC power. I actually don't use a microwave at home, an have rarely lived in a place with air.

I'm a fairly minimalist camper, and usually sleep in a tent. However, I bought the camper so I can work while on the road for a month at a time, I need comfortable place to sit and bang on the keyboard (as well as a bit of wi-fi).