check engine light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2006 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. when I turn the key on it flashes 10 times. it starts and runs, but it runs rough, what could be the problem?

OP
OP
B

bobsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2006 ram 1500 with a 5.7. When Iturn the key on the light flashes ten times. the truck starts but runs rough, what could be wrong

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think you want to be in the 3rd Gen. section. None-the-less, I've always thought that a flashing engine light was "not good" and you should get to a service facility. Don't assume it'll go away. If you can't scan and diagnose, best to get an appt. ASAP. If it is not running smoothly, I wouldn't drive any distance at all as you can do serious damage. Good luck!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Stop at an auto parts store and have them check the engine codes for you. That will get you started.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Flashing usually means a random misfire. Mutliple misfires across all cylinders.

Building on this, server misfires will allow unburned fuel to be dumped downstream into the catalytic converter allowing a sharp temperature increase to a level where damage is likely.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Mine does the same thing. When you turn it past acc, the check engine light flashes (didn't count how many times) and then stops. It goes away whether or not i let it continue flashing or just start it up. I was curious about this too because I'm no getting any codes on my dash or my reader. And my CEL isn't on either. Maybe a bulb test like the rest of the dash lights?