Check Fuel Cap Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddywardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I re-tightened the fuel cap and it's still showing the message. 7mEIkI4.jpg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It usually takes a few key cycles before it will go off by itself.

OP
OP
Eddywardo

Eddywardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It usually takes a few key cycles before it will go off by itself.
thanks, I was gonna take it to the dealer and next Thursday apparently that's the earliest they can take the truck in lol. So I should continue to use it normally? I was gonna keep it stationary until thursday.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks, I was gonna take it to the dealer and next Thursday apparently that's the earliest they can take the truck in lol. So I should continue to use it normally? I was gonna keep it stationary until thursday.

yeah, you'll be fine....

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was the cap and tightening fixes it, typically the light will go off during your next drive after 20 miles or so. If it doesn't go off, then after a few key cycles you might throw a CEL. If that happens, then you still may not have tightened the gas cap enough, the tether could be stiff causing it to loosen slightly, you could just have a compromised gas cap, or there could be an evap leak.

With that said, hopefully tightening it did the trick. Otherwise, remove the tether and see if it goes away. If not, then just take it to the dealer at that point to diagnose the issue. I'm only recommending the dealer if you are under warranty or have a thick wallet, lol...

OP
OP
Eddywardo

Eddywardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was the cap and tightening fixes it, typically the light will go off during your next drive after 20 miles or so. If it doesn't go off, then after a few key cycles you might throw a CEL. If that happens, then you still may not have tightened the gas cap enough, the tether could be stiff causing it to loosen slightly, you could just have a compromised gas cap, or there could be an evap leak.

With that said, hopefully tightening it did the trick. Otherwise, remove the tether and see if it goes away. If not, then just take it to the dealer at that point to diagnose the issue. I'm only recommending the dealer if you are under warranty or have a thick wallet, lol...
I’m no longer getting the message, thanks guys ! @stimpy433