Check Gauge Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've been noticing this light comes on when my 1999 dodge ram 1500 LT is going 45MPH and then brake to slow down to reduce speed. The truck shakes and rattles and then the Check Gauge light comes on and then goes away in 5 seconds. The seat belt light is on have not yet figured out how to turn it off other then electric tape. Any reason why this error is now occurring?

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Ok I've noticed a few things since I posted this thread that needs some answers. When the check gauge light comes on it is mostly in the morning when the engine is cold or when I am slowing down to turn. I looked at the Gauge and noticed the Oil gauge was at half mark and then dropped to zero and then went back to half mark. I checked to see if it was low and could not find that to be the issue.

Today on the way back home Grimace my truck had a huge meltdown. When I was stepping on the gas to maintain the 45MPH the RPM was near the 3k it felt like it was stuck and would not go down. I tried slowing down but it seemed like it was only going 15MPH when the gauged showed 30MPH.

The guy I bought the truck from Rigged the crap out of the electrical system. Subwoofer and 2 Amps hooked all to the battery, I know this is not an issue but it just makes me question if it's something electrical due to the fact all my fuse box next to the door smells of burnt wiring. I checked everyone and a few was burnt out so I changed them all but still that nasty smell.

This truck makes me question if it's even worth the hassle or if it's only a work truck and not a pleasure vehicle. Any advice would be greatly helpful

P.S. I also need some advice on how to save some gas in this beast $20 at empty got my an 1/8 and 3days later that damn light came back on

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The check gauges light usually comes on when the battery is failing. You might disconnect all the wiring for the subs at the battery and see what becomes of it.

As for your speedo vs rpm and actual road speed, I dunno about that.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
So you think it's because the dude rigged the crap out of all my electrical that the battery might be going, cause I don't even have dome lights or even a CD player for that matter.. Tablet and Computer speakers does the trick.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alrighty....rigging an electrical system can definitely make a battery go south. But your problem is being compounded by something...

In your interior fuse panel, you'll find a 5 amp fuse for "Illumination" which I believe is the dome and reading lights and a 10 amp fuse for the radio. See what those look like or of anything else is wired into them.

OP
OP
Irishhawk30

Irishhawk30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Ok thanks ;-) I'm taking it to an Electrician guy soon cause there is so many loose wires in the engine bay that is for the birds, two white wires for the fog lights he installed are near the radiator fan that I had to use electrical tape to keep it from eating it. Red and blue speaker wires everything from green wires are hooked to the battery, Even a white wire was hooked into the fusebox in the door I had to unhook. Sun roof and everything in Grimace is just a mess, my friend thinks it's the reason why i'm losing a lot of gas just does not feel like a lot of horsepower when I go down the road and i'm riding in a 5.2 liter V8 engine feels like a 4 cylinder