Check gauges light oil pressure at 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg8642

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, today I was driving home and all the sudden I noticed on my dash the check gauges light was on. I then started looking at all the gauges to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. All were fine except the oil pressure gauge was all the way to the left. I stopped on the way home at the store. When I got back in the truck and started it up the problem was gone. I then stopped at another store this time when I started it back up the problem was back. I tried a few more times and for whatever reason it would either be there or not when starting.

Now I’m pretty sure that it’s not oil pressure related and that it’s electrical. I checked the oil and it’s not low, no leaks, no mess on the engine. So my best guess is that the sensor has gone bad. I just googled that however and found that other people with rams who have a problem with the oil pressure sensor seem to be getting a check engine light, not a check gauges light. Maybe that doesn’t mean anything and it could still be the culprit, I’m not sure.

Anyway just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows something about it. Thanks

RamCreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could always check to make sure all the connections are clean and tight. I usually do this first and put die electric grease on everything while its apart. Then you know for sure its your oil sensor. But it may be cheaper and less time consuming to replace that first.

HemiDrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Find the source of problem? Im having same issue. Also happens if i brake hard.
Was told i needed to clean the Idel air control valve.
2004 1500 5.7L 187,000 miles.

len loga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem, oil pressure gauge comes on when I start the truck the second time. so I start it and then shut it off , restart and usually it's ok for the day. would like to fond out the problem. 06 1500 5.7 mega cab 180,000 k

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience was the same. I changed the oil pressure sending unit (cheap) and issue is gone.