Check out my new Aluminum 468 for my Daytona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm. Didn't know that. But wouldn't that make your power steering and a/c weaker? And alternator for that matter?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
I'd say not really since the SRT's didn't seem to have that issue and they use the same accessory drive with a shorter belt. Unfortunately for 3rd gen Rams you'd have to get an aftermarket one since the LX belt has a different rib count.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen someone on Fb posted a 02 I believe that was a 3.7 that now is a 426 hemi. I think it's on the NADODGE group

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Underdrive pulley, causes accessories to turn slower and cause less drag on the engine. Putting a 6.1 damper on an LX 5.7 is cheap and easy underdrive pulley. He speaks of ported throttle bodies. Bigger bore, better shaped. Problem is, unless you have major mods that change the amount of air you're moving in and out of the engine, the return doesn't justify the cost on a stock engine.

I have yet to see someone have a finished consistently reliable hemi swap from a 3.7/4.7/5.9 even. Everyone's eyes and plans generally start out bigger than their wallets and technical ability and they find out the hard way lol. To answer your question though, if you are putting a stock hemi in, the RFE will be enough. This is where I question your technical ability to do this swap because you don't actually know that a 45RFE and 545RFE are the same trans with different programming. It's the software that makes the difference. You can take a 45RFE from say a 2002 4.7 and say stick it in a 2003 5.7 and it instantly becomes a 545RFE because of the programming (ask me how I know this). Hell even the 6sp they had for a few years before the 8sp is the same trans with revised programming.

Some one had told me that the 545rfe was a 5 speed automatic and the 45rfe was a 4 speed maybe they were mistaken. That's the only reason I asked

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some one had told me that the 545rfe was a 5 speed automatic and the 45rfe was a 4 speed maybe they were mistaken. That's the only reason I asked
That is true, however the only physical difference between them is the software.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
That is true, however the only physical difference between them is the software.

But the fact that one has 5 different gears and the other has 4 gears is a pretty big difference in my opinion making them 2 different transmissions. It's like the 5.7 hemi and the 6.1 hemi in the hellcats. Would you say they are the same engine? Even though they have different heads, intake manifold, stroke, and bore size?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
But the fact that one has 5 different gears and the other has 4 gears is a pretty big difference in my opinion making them 2 different transmissions. It's like the 5.7 hemi and the 6.1 hemi in the hellcats. Would you say they are the same engine? Even though they have different heads, intake manifold, stroke, and bore size?

Luckily son, facts trump your opinion lol. You're thinking old school hydraulic transmissions, these ones are fully electronic. The RFE is capable of approximately 14 forward gears and 2 reverse gears because of the way everything fits together AS PROGRAMMED. Remember the part where I said "ask me how I know this"? That's because that's exactly what I did. Last time I replaced my trans I found a low mileage take out from an 02 4.7. It picks up the extra gear ratio because the computer tells it to. It is possible (it's been done) to swap TCM's on an 02 4.7 truck to turn that 45RFE into a 545 and gain the extra OD gear.
Now I'm really gonna tear you apart because you said "5.7 hemi and 6.1 hemi in the hellcats" - I'm gonna chalk that up to you being an inexperienced kid.
If you are trying to do comparison among differing engines in an engine family to these transmissions, that's an apples to oranges comparison. It's not the same. But here, maybe this will help from the factory service manual:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION -
45RFE/545RFE
DESCRIPTION
The 45RFE/545RFE automatic transmissions is a
sophisticated, multi-range, electronically controlled
transmission which combines optimized gear ratios
for responsive performance, state of the art efficiency
features and low NVH. Other features include driver
adaptive shifting and three planetary gear sets to
provide wide ratio capability with precise ratio steps
for optimum driveability. The three planetary gear
sets also make available a unique alternate second
gear ratio. The primary 2nd gear ratio fits between
1st and 3rd gears for normal through-gear accelerations.
The alternate second gear ratio (2prime) allows
smoother 4-2 kickdowns at high speeds to provide
2nd gear passing performance over a wider highway
cruising range.

GEAR RATIOS
The 45RFE gear ratios are:
1st . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.00:1
2nd. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.67:1
2nd Prime . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.50:1
3rd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00:1
4th . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.75:1
Reverse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.00:1
GEAR RATIOS
The 545RFE gear ratios are:
1st . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.00:1
2nd. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.67:1
2nd Prime . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.50:1
3rd . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.00:1
4th . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.75:1
5th . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.67:1
Reverse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.00:1

OR...you could do a little research on your own...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is the write up for how to do the TCM swap, not only works in Rams but it's been done to Dakotas and Durangos as well. The internet can be your friend...

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
This is the write up for how to do the TCM swap, not only works in Rams but it's been done to Dakotas and Durangos as well. The internet can be your friend...

Okay you clearly proved me wrong but from what I've been reading it doesn't specifically say how the 5th gear comes in. How does the TCM add in the 5th hear ratio? Sorry for being ignorant I'm just trying to learn

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay you clearly proved me wrong but from what I've been reading it doesn't specifically say how the 5th gear comes in. How does the TCM add in the 5th hear ratio? Sorry for being ignorant I'm just trying to learn
Not at all, that's how you learn. To understand that you have to understand how the transmission itself works. There's a sticky on here somewhere that has links to factory service manuals. Get yours and do some light reading. See if it makes sense then come back with your questions.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Not at all, that's how you learn. To understand that you have to understand how the transmission itself works. There's a sticky on here somewhere that has links to factory service manuals. Get yours and do some light reading. See if it makes sense then come back with your questions.

Well I appreciate the info and when I find time in between my school work I'll read through it and deffinatly cone back with questions

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seen someone on Fb posted a 02 I believe that was a 3.7 that now is a 426 hemi. I think it's on the NADODGE group

426 3G hemi or 426 2G? Street truck or race truck? If it's NADODGE it's most likely a race truck. Facebook has me blocked for the week or I'd go look myself lol.

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
426 3G hemi or 426 2G? Street truck or race truck? If it's NADODGE it's most likely a race truck. Facebook has me blocked for the week or I'd go look myself lol.

It’s a street truck! It’s a Iron block 6.1 426 that made 556 hp crank and 477 rwhp. It has a T56 transmission. Don’t know the specs as for type of heads he used, cam etc etc.

My old 420 made 488 rwhp but this one should be over 500 rwhp due to things I learned over the last few yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just purchased my 4l80 from a friend that had 800 mike and got it refreshed for me with new clutches and all. This is supposed to handle 1000 rwhp so I hope I don’t have to deal with transmission issue for a good while with this build.
0cd372406f0998b2f575796e85fb9592.jpg

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
But is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen? THAT is the real question.

It is posted in the 3rd gen Performance section and I stated it’s a daytona in the title [emoji41]

319fc4c4eba7d0d2e0efec0708349b92.jpg

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The built 4L80 has came home, but now have to take it to get the new bellhousing machined on. Then I’ll be able to install it behind the 468 hemi
8c7f919b4e5123cebaa378c037681f50.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Looks great! How much effort is the swap compared to a dodge trans?

OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
468!?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
Yes aluminum 468! 7.6L
I was saying 426 because I had a huge grudge race against someone but it’s not going to happen now and just post the truth. It’s just sounds so damn good saying 468 and knowing I’m the 1st to do one in a Dodge Ram

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lethal Hemi

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Looks great! How much effort is the swap compared to a dodge trans?
So far it doesn’t look difficult, but of course all I’ve done was get the 4l80 built and about to drop off the transmission and tied bellhouse off to get machined into the transmission. Then I’ll take the whole truck to get a custom crossmember and get the driveshaft measured for a custom one.