Chris's 6.4 Hemi Stroker Truck

Discussion in 'Member Trucks' started by chrisp2493, Oct 30, 2016.

1. chrisp2493

chrisp2493 Always Modding

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Starting a thread showing the progress of my first truck. I bought it used for only 5k knowing I needed to put in some work on it. I have a lot of mod plans for the truck as money is available and I'm enjoying working on it in my spare time.
    [​IMG]
    Getting it off the lot, first thing done was taking off the completely rusted out exhaust and replacing it with a summit racing cat back [​IMG]
    Debadged and removed the pin striping
    New audio system
    Cranked the torsion bars up for a 2" level
    Removed the step bars
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Rebuilt the heads due to a head gasket leak from the previous owners neglect. Got a valve job done and new pushrods
    [​IMG]
    New front bumper, headlights, fog lights and light bar. I sanded down both bumpers and applied a spray on bed liner to them. I was really happy with the results
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Plastidipped the grill
    5% tint on the back window and 20% on the front windows
    New bolt on flares
    Future plans are adding shorty headers, CAI, a tuner, and rims and tires. One thing at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemi1282, jettajam1, THETANK and 2 others like this.
  2. sposer17

sposer17 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7 Magnum V8
    nice bro. you getting black rims?

3. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi

Hopefully next summer, that's the plan at least

4. akennedyusmc

akennedyusmc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I like the look of the Bedliner bumper! Thinking about doing the same on my truck

5. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi

Thank you! I used Defender-Pro epoxy bedliner, it was a cheaper spray on alternative to Line-x and I was really happy with the results. It was very easy to spray after roughing up the bumper finish and so far it looks tough as nails.

6. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Well I am starting the long tube header project tonight. I got a set of the pacesetter headers. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I spent about 2 hours removing the factory paint with a torch and wire brush and then painted them with 3 coats of VHT Header paint. Tomorrow I'll start the removal of the manifolds and get the new ones in. Any tips or tricks from anyone with experience with this install would be greatly appreciated!

7. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Well two more days of work and I finally got the headers all done. The install was fairly simple. The pacesetters fit right in no problem, I was frankly surprised how easily the fit up on the driver side. [​IMG]
    I read somewhere on here that you had to grind off a mounting tab on the passenger side of the transmission. I did that, but I may have taken Alittle too much off[​IMG][​IMG]
    As far as I can tell, it's just the bell housing so there isn't any pressure or fluid inside there, so I just filled the gap in with silicone to keep out water and debris.
    The next problem I ran into was my idea of trying to reuse the old y pipe. I tried to figure out how to fab my own new one, but I figured raw material would cost me over $150 and the pacesetter y pipe was only $230. So I made a run to summit racing again to pick up the y pipe and get pack to work. It fit very well and saved me a lot of time and hassle.
    Well instead of getting new cats I decided to do a cat delete. I had to add a bung in the y pipe for the downstream o2 sensor since none was provided. I went with the non fouler trick, so instead of welding a threaded bung on, I just drilled a hole in the pipe and welded one of the non foulers in. I just screwed the other non fouler into that and called it good. [​IMG]
    The next issue was the fuel and egr relief valve lines on the driver side. They were practically on top of the exhaust collector. I put the fuel line in the next slot up on the bracket on the frame. I found some heat shield wrap at AutoZone and covered the various lines in it. Then I took a piece of sheet metal and bent it over and around the pipe and shot a few screws into the frame to hold it. Hopefully that helps.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, since I didn't have cats on the driver side originally, (I'm assuming because I have the 4x4) I had to plug the o2 hole on the driver side header. I went to napa and they had a plug for it for $9.
    It definitely changed the exhaust note, gave it just a touch of a chug to it. It sounds pretty good with my summit racing rat back. I haven't driven it much today yet, but it did seem Alittle snappier on the throttle. Can't wait to see if it's any better on the on ramps or not. I'm definitely happy to get rid of the exhaust leak on the driver side and the cracked header on the other side!

8. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    Well after driving it for a few days, I've noticed a problem with major exhaust drone at 60-70 mph (1600-1900 rpms). I have a summit racing muffler on right now, will changing out the muffler to something else help? I've had my eye on the spintech pro street 9000 anyways, so maybe this is my excuse to get it

9. chrisp2493

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    I did the TMR delete today after reading up on it in forums. I've never heard of it before, but I tried it and was surprised at the outcome. WOT pulls feels so much more aggressive and the shift is way quicker. I guess that's the only perk of an 03 ram

10. jaycabral27

jaycabral27 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Awesome work your doing. Keep it up, love looking at the progress!

THETANK and destroyaYO like this.