clunk sound going into gear

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Rookiemoto, May 11, 2013.

1. Rookiemoto

Rookiemoto Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a 88 D100 with a 318, not sure what trans.

I just bought this truck last week for $650. Has 149xxx miles and honestly drives really good. I have been doing minor things to it the last week. Changed spark plug wires, spark plugs, battery, oil/filter, air filter and aftermarket temp gauge. Trans fluid is next weekend.

Ok so my problem is when i go from park to drive or reverse there’s a loud clunk noise and sometimes a small jump. Also a vibration sometimes while driving. I’m thinking it’s the u-joints.? I already bought new u-joints so as soon as i get time I’m changing them.

Can it be something else? Any help would be great!

THANKS

2. Rookiemoto

Rookiemoto Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Update...

Changed my u-joints and there’s no difference.

Any other suggestions??

3. BAILEY1

BAILEY1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 RAM 2500
    Engine:
    Dat Cummins!
    If it was not the u-joints, then I would definitely check to see how much slack you have in the ring and pinion. Is it making a low "drone" noise when you going down the road?

4. moparman

moparman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 Express CC
    Engine:
    If it sounds like an airplane going down the road then youre in trouble. Sounds like a bad pinion bearing if you still have vibrations with new u joints. Crawl under it and try to move the driveshaft up and down at the rear. If theres no play then its good, if there is play then thats the problem. Same thing happened to mine, pinion bearings took a dump.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

5. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    that clunk noise is normal with most older dodge transmission. if you start your truck in neutral i am pretty sure you should not have that noise. have you checked the rear differential fluid level?

6. Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    Kinda jumping in on here late, but I also have clunking from my transmission, mainly going from any gear to reverse. I know there's the light clunk from just shifting gears, but whenever I go into reverse, there's a loud scraping noise, and I mean LOUD. Like, I get looked at from across a parking lot because it catches their attention.

If anyone can tell me where to find the fuse box too, that'd be great, cause my reverse lights don't work.

7. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    you may want to check the differential fluid level and universal joints if it makes that much of a clunk when going from any gear into reverse.

i think this should be the same for 90 but not sure. if fuse is fine then you may want to start another thread on the issue so that we don't thread jack this thread too much.
    [​IMG]

8. Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    I'm thinking it's the differential fluid, only because it sometimes clunks, but not all the time and with varying loudness. If the car is just starting up, it's loud, but if the engine is warm (which I assume the fluid is warm and lubricated the diff) it is just as quiet as any other gear change.

9. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    did you read my post about starting the truck in neutral? these trucks do not pump fluid in park so if you start the truck in neutral it should not make that noise. that big bang is fluid starting to pump and stuff starting to engage.

10. Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    OHHHHHHHHHH! That makes alot of sense. I forgot that you can start in neutral. But if it doesn't start pumping fluid in park, why wouldn't it make a clunk when switching to any other gear? Is it just the way the reverse gear is different than the rest or do I seriously just need to read up on my transmission stuff?