Cluster tach drop out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Under 2000rpm my tach is all over the place. Idle is usually 200rpm, cruising at 60 is 1000rpm. Sometimes it sticks at 0 then jumps to 2000. Is there anything anybody has found to fix this issue besides a new cluster? And it looks like the clusters 02 to 08 are the same visually. Not sure if they're interchangeable

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a pretty common problem for 3rd Gen Rams, the tach in my 06 does the same thing. There are several chips on the circuit board, 2 of them control the tach. Over time the solder joints get weak and break, the repair is to reheat each pin on the chips to re-melt the solder joints. There are several videos on YouTube, search for 2006 Dodge Ram tachometer repair. Or you can send it out to an electronics repair shop and they'll do it for you.

I'm planning to send mine out to Circuit Board Medics and let them fix it because they will replace the chips and all the backlighting too.

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Yea I had a 89 Buick Reatta that had a digital dash and touchscreen.. In 89.. They were notorious for bad solder joints and I repaired a few of those