Clutch Fan Won't Disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wyo2track

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
That only applies to the mechanical fan driven by the engine. The electrical fan on your radiator, which is the one you are thinking is causing the issue, does not engage that way.

No, I'm not thinking of the electrical fan. No problems with that fan. I'm looking at the clutch fan, mechanically driven by the engine and thermally activated, when properly working.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
No, I'm not thinking of the electrical fan. No problems with that fan. I'm looking at the clutch fan, mechanically driven by the engine and thermally activated, when properly working.

Sorry. When I asked which fan it was earlier and your first words were that you assumed the electric fan then I figured that that was the one you were talking about.

Btw, the electric fan does not stay on all the time and the speed of the fan may vary. The Cummins doesn't have the electric fan, only the mechanical fan, which begs me to ask why does the 6.4L and 5.7L need the added cooling?

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ more ******** to up our repair bills lol

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The cummins have been eating shrouds as of late. Maybe a larger fan(to compensate for no electric) with the same shroud from the 6.4/5.7?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The cummins have been eating shrouds as of late. Maybe a larger fan(to compensate for no electric) with the same shroud from the 6.4/5.7?

I think I found out why the 6.4L/5.7L in the 2500/3500 have the secondary electric fan as opposed to the Cummins. They both use the same size fans and shroud, but the Cummins has an 11 blade fan while 6.4L/5.7L use a 5 blade fan that is also the same part number (55056947AA) used in the 1500s. The 5 blade fan is probably good by itself for the needs of the 1500s without secondary fan, but the cooling needs and duty cycle of the 6.4L/5.7L in the HDs require a bit more. As for putting the 11 blade fan from the diesel on the 6.4L, that is a pretty big fan even compared to the other makes diesels that have a 9 blade fan. It would take a lot of parasitic power loss from the 6.4L/5.7L to move that big of a fan especially at lower rpms.

Last edited:

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yesterday, I drove to work 7 miles (morning) and back 7 miles(evening). clutch fan never disengaged. this morning, on the way to work, clutch fan still on. the dealership is right next door to my work. So i decided to pull in so i can show them. The service advisor called the head mechanic that works on the RAMS. When I revved the engine, the truck roared. he said it sounds perfectly normal.

I asked him for a test drive. he said sure. as soon as we pull out of the dealership, the clutch fan disengages. He then explains to me that the clutch fan uses oil and works like a hydrolics. He said the clutch isn't electric or mechanical.

He said the clutch engages and disengages at certain temps even when at cold start. Just the way this clutch fan is designed to work. He said you want the clutch fan to run, when it doesn't run, that's when cars over heat.

He even offered to replace the clutch fan with a new one. he said "i'll guarantee it is going to do the same exact thing."

When I do normal driving, you won't really notice the clutch fan roar. it's when I drive it hard it really roars.

OP
OP
wyo2track

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Ahhh...... a revving 6.4L Hemi sure does sound good...I can finally hear it again! Damn, that constant vibrating fan roar gets old in a hurry! The fan clutch decided to finally and totally crap out. After 6 straight days I walked into the service center with a grin and a handful of recall notices. They didn't even question the fan clutch operation just told me it'd be replaced. So finally after 14 days I can hear my engine again!! An oil change, recall fixes, and a new fan clutch....life is good again! :favorites13:

Hopefully this fan clutch last longer than the 15k miles the first one did..
I'm chalking it up to a defective clutch. I sure hope RAM has identified this little annoyance and has taken it up with their vendor. The RAM service center I went to said they were on a nationwide backorder. A buddy here in town has also been having trouble with his fan clutch on his 6.4. With all the other complaints I've seen, I'd say RAM's vendor has a design/manufacturing issue.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm really glad it worked out for you. I'm already a week and a half into the fan clutch not disengaging. I'm still waiting for the dealer to get my water pump so they rule out the bad water pump effecting fan clutch theory.

Btw, my truck just hit 3,000 miles.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dealer called and said my waterpump is in. Service advisor asked if my clutch fan is still engaged. I said yes. We'll see what happens.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A little update....Took her Thursday. The replaced the waterpump but we're still looking/working in the clutch fan. Needed the truck overnight. They gave me a loaner, 2015 ram 1500 QC big horn 4x4. They called Friday and said we'll let you know on monday.

In a way I'm glad they're keeping it because sounds like they're acknowledging that there is some thing wrong. They offically haven't said fan clutch is bad. They keep saying mechanic is still testing.

Prior to all this mechanic said he wanted to install the waterpump first, then check relays and then clutch itself.

I want my truck back soon bad.

UPDATE, 11/09/15:
Dealer called and said fan clutch is bad which needs to be replaced. they said it's on back order so it will take 3-5 working days for delivery.

Last edited:

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FINALLY FIXED!! I picked up my truck this morning. they said the coil in the fan clutch was stuck on. It took a week for them to change the water pump, test and order fan clutch. Truly missed the sound of that 6.4.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
picked up my new 2016 6.4 2500 monday am. 1 mile on it in st paul MN.
drove to denver - where i live - never heard the fan - ever.

went to work next day - 21 degrees out....
for 36 miles to and from work, the clutch fan never disengaged.
sounded like a jet engine under my hood - even up to redline.
cannot hear engine
cannot hear exhaust
significant mileage drop
cant hear radio either unless its cranked

the fan is insane loud.

kinda a bummer with a new truck with 1039 miles on it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The oil may have never heated up, causing the fan to stay engaged. The oil in the fan clutch. Definitely let it warm up.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
thanks for the reply...

i am under the impression that clutch fans in cold temps should not do anything....

they only " turn on " or spin when the t stat on them reaches a certain temp and then begin to cool....

so, they should not spin at all at 20 f ...because a fan spinning in sub freezing temps would only prelong warmup of vehicle...due to air flow through radiator...

just some random thoughts?

thanks !:)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno I know when we get below freezing sometimes it is on sometimes not. I don't ha e a dealer near me to be able to drop it off and request a fix. but I fell your pain, it's ******* annoying when it does it.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My fan clutch still comes on cold starts but for a few seconds.

Clutch fan not disengaging for 36 miles sounds like it's bad.

When they fixed mine, they said the coil inside was stuck in the engaged position.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
after the fan has been stuck on for almost 500 miles, it finally fixed itself - after a flogging up a mile long hill at very high rpm.

of course, my appointment for getting this fan issue fixed is for saturday morning at the ram dealer....and the truck has no more symptoms....

how ironic.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
See if it still comes on after cold starts.

Still take it in.

Mine didn't disengage for a few miles this morning. It seems it takes longer for it to disengage when my truck has been sitting for more than a day. I didn't drive my truck all day yesterday.

Other times, it'll disengage after a few minutes. Mine does come on about 95% of the time on cold starts.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mine rarely stays on. Maybe once in a blue moon if I fire it up ice cold and just take off (usually I use the remote start) and usually if it does stay on. It's off by the middle of my road (dead end maybe 1/4 mile long) and even in the summer. The only time I will hear it is if I got the ac cranking and in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk