Code 34

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walter Joy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360) TBI V8
Within the past few weeks, the truck has been having problems with starting, mainly if the engine is still warm. Sometimes it will catch but idle down so low it almost stalls or it takes at least 3 full cycles to start. I just pulled the codes off the computer (counted the flashes on the Check engine indicator) and it came up with Code 34- Speed Control Servo Solenoid Open or Shorted. What I have found is it connected to the cruise control. However, my truck doesn't have cruise control. So do I still have this part on the engine or is it something else? And would this affect the truck starting? Thanks (1989 W250 360 V8 TBI)

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that code probably should not have anything to do with it engine not wanting to start. have you tried priming the system a couple times before trying to start it?

OP
OP
Walter Joy

Walter Joy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360) TBI V8
I usually turn the key to run, hear the pump run and then start it. But it usually happens after I take it out for a drive (into town), go into a store or fast food place, then come out.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you replaced any parts on it? i would still try priming the fuel system when doing something like that and see if it makes any difference.

OP
OP
Walter Joy

Walter Joy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360) TBI V8
We think it may be a split rubber hose or something near the tank, as when we shut off the truck we hear gas draining back into the tank

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if a line was split back by the tank it would be pouring the fuel onto the ground and not back into the tank. i think the fuel pressure regulator is responsible for returning excess fuel and holding fuel pressure in the fuel system.

OP
OP
Walter Joy

Walter Joy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360) TBI V8
That's actually the one part I know we replaced last year. That went bad and caused not only gas to get in the oil but also caused it to run on 5 cylinders.