Coil Spacers and Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I am looking to level my 01 Ram with Off Road package and have been searching the web to try and find these answers, but am honestly only getting a headache with everything and not getting the actual answers. I know that several have leveled their ORE without changing control arms and some have had no ill effects. If I wanted to add 2" spacers in addition to the already approximate 2" lift I have with the ORE coils, and money were an option, would I need to replace both upper and lower control arms, or just the lower? And can anyone give me specs on length of upper and lower control arms, for my specific referenced application, if I wanted to fab my own control arms and money wasn't an option? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Short answer, yes.

2.5" of suspension lift is max before the steering geometry starts to change. Axle shifts and isnt centered, not good. This wears stuff like the track bar very quickly and can lead to dangerous death wobble. Add 2" spacers you will need new appropriate length control arms, track bar drop bracket or adjustable track bar, longer shocks, longer pitman arm to keep things happy. For c-arm lengths I am not sure sorry.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Approx 17" C to C for the upper arms and approx 19" C to C for the lower arms. You going to make adjustables or fixed ends ?????

OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks gentleman.

@Merc225hp, I am considering adjustable. I still need to find and do a little more research into everything I'll need, then we will see. Of course there are more important repairs I need to do in the meantime as well.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would go adjustable.

Upper arms

1.750 dia x .250 wall DOM
4 x 3/4 shank with 7/8 eyelets rod ends
4 7/8ths eyelet high misalignment bushings with 9/16 hole
4x weld in tube adapters
4 x jam nuts
8 x grade 8 or hardened washers/spacers to shim the rod ends in the frame and diff, or you can get long misalignment bushings and have them machined to the correct width.

Lower Arms

2" OD x .250 wall x 1.50 ID DOM tubing
4 x 1.25 shank tube adapters to fit 1.50 (inside spec)
2 x 1.25" shank w/ 1.0" bore Rod End (diff side)
2 x 1.0" bore to 5/8ths or 9/16ths high misalignment spacers (diff side)
2 x Forged Chromoly Ballistic Joint (frame side) This stops pinging from the hard hitting rod ends. You could also use and adjustable bushing here.
4 x jam nuts

Upgrade to grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers, the holes on the diff and frame will have to be drilled to suit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I would go adjustable.

Upper arms

1.750 dia x .250 wall DOM
4 x 3/4 shank with 7/8 eyelets rod ends
4 7/8ths eyelet high misalignment bushings with 9/16 hole
4x weld in tube adapters
4 x jam nuts
8 x grade 8 or hardened washers/spacers to shim the rod ends in the frame and diff, or you can get long misalignment bushings and have them machined to the correct width.

Lower Arms

2" OD x .250 wall x 1.50 ID DOM tubing
4 x 1.25 shank tube adapters to fit 1.50 (inside spec)
2 x 1.25" shank w/ 1.0" bore Rod End (diff side)
2 x 1.0" bore to 5/8ths or 9/16ths high misalignment spacers (diff side)
2 x Forged Chromoly 2.375" Ballistic Joint (frame side) This stops pinging from the hard hitting rod ends. You could also use and adjustable bushing here.
4 x jam nuts

Upgrade to grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers, the holes on the diff and frame will have to be drilled to suit.

Total width is 2.375 for all the control arm brackets.

As usual you are a wealth of information, good sir. That will alleviate any additional research I have to do. Thanks a million!

Mike

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I/we need to double check overall width I don't remember off the top of my head what it is at this moment, but will post that up in a bit. That will flex like no other!!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
At this point you might be thinking long lower control arms would be nice and it is. So I have come up with a way to to the lower frame brackets. This fits across the frame rails behind the xcase and is a drill and bolt in job (no welding on the frame). Cap the ends of the 2x6 with the plate, put in place on the frame, drill holes in new side bracket (plate steel) and frame bolt in place. Position the new lower control arm brackets on the new crossmember and weld in place. You still use a short upper arm.

1 x 38" wide 2 x 6 3/16 wall rectangular tubing,
2 x 3/8ths plate steel 6"x6"
2 X Artec Ind frame mounts (see link)
Artec Industries Lower Link Frame Bracket

All nuts/bolts/washers must be of grade 8.

pm me if you need more detailed info on this mod.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As I do minimal off-roading for now, would ballistic joints or bushings be a bad decision, in place of the rod ends?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
They would both work just fine and give a nicer less harsh hitting ride.

OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Great thanks... Just looking at different options and maybe a small amount of cost savings in the process.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Control arm width

2.375 upper
2.645 Lower

Last edited:
OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Perfect, thanks again for all the info

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Your Welcome Sir :) glad I could offer some insight on the subject.

Keep us updated with what you do and pix are always welcome.

OP
OP
kpd12

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Will do... Have a few other more important issue to resolve first, but once that's completed, I will be looking at leveling the front end and working up control arms. I'm going to start pricing everything I need and shopping for the best prices now though. And yes pics will be provided once I get started.