Cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derek kosina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase a cold air intake for my 15 ram with the 5.7 hemi. I've been looking at the volant as I had it on my last truck but was curious what everyone else was running and how they like and what about them. Feedback is appreciated

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the design of the new S&B. I’m leaning toward that.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read that just a drop-in filter on the stock air box works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory intake system is a good system. If you got lots of money and want "pretty and noise" there are quite a few aftermarket choices. The one that most people like for increased performance is the Vararam, however there are plenty others out there. Drop in's are fine also. I guess it just depends on your price point.
Jay

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As above... the factory airbox already draws air from the wheel well... and has a good filter... i debated this for a while and kept my money...

If you want real cai, a raised air intake is the only thing i would consider an improvement... but its a permanent upgrade so not for everyone

Thats where my money is going next... but do it only if you will keep the truck a while

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Leaving mine stock until FCA makes a scat pack for the ram.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The volant kit is very nice and we can offer a good deal on that. The other 2 popular options we offer is vararam and S&B

The Vararam has proven to be the bigger hp gain of all the options. although I feel the volant and S&B arent far behind in hp and the they will offer better filtration.

message me if you would like a quote on anything. we offer discounts to the members here on everything!

Reactions: CTD

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cut a hole in the stock box and ran hose off it to the bumper. It also pulls from the original spot on the fender. So either way its cold air, but opening it up lets it get more air. I then added a Green racing filter. Doesn't look as pretty as an S&B but cost me like 50 bucks and does the same thing

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same with me. Added a 3" tube to stock box for more air, new/better filter. Waaay cheaper and works great

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont agree w/ the Vararam being the biggest performer. At this point none of the faster/fastest trucks are running the Vararam. The intakes that pull air from the right lower grill area are the ones performing the best at the track. Whether it be a diy intake, S&B or a modified stock intake. I cut my scoop on S&B slightly higher & am about to relocate my coolant overflow. My times on the 22's w/ the simple mods I have speak a little for the intake. There are several trucks running the Vararam that have more mods that are running slower et's from the 330' to all the way down the track than I am. Once the weather warms up a lil in March & I'm not worried about a personal best I will take the time to swap the S&B for the stock intake at the track & make a pass.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont agree w/ the Vararam being the biggest performer. At this point none of the faster/fastest trucks are running the Vararam. The intakes that pull air from the right lower grill area are the ones performing the best at the track. Whether it be a diy intake, S&B or a modified stock intake. I cut my scoop on S&B slightly higher & am about to relocate my coolant overflow. My times on the 22's w/ the simple mods I have speak a little for the intake. There are several trucks running the Vararam that have more mods that are running slower et's from the 330' to all the way down the track than I am. Once the weather warms up a lil in March & I'm not worried about a personal best I will take the time to swap the S&B for the stock intake at the track & make a pass.

That could have as much to do with your driving and experience than anything else.
Jay

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That could have as much to do with your driving and experience than anything else. I think Matt ran a few times with the Vararam(without the filter I think)and then used the tube intake on his blue truck.
Jay

Its not just me. Plenty of others are having better success at the track w/ the inlet being in the lower right side of the grille.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ Is intake is still through the fender well????
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya, the more I think about it, I might be wrong about Matt using the Vararam except on the new RC silver truck he is starting to test.
Jay

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea Matt mainly uses the track intake on except on his 2017. His 2017 has a Vararam.