Cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still really satisfied with the performance of the Vararam on my truck. It's done a good job for me in my circumstances, but I don't have any track time to back up my "butt dyno" feeling. For continuous track use I agree the track intake would no doubt be better.
Jay

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I also added the Mopar CAI and cat back combo, but without the functional scoop, very happy with it, here is mine.IuPaVeC.jpg
Did this intake increase engine noise? How was the performance gain?

norton333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds great, and combined with the performance cat back it sure seems like a difference to me, I love it,.I don't go to a track or anything so this is based on sound and feel to me, others may feel differently.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The stock intake setup works just as good. I put an AEM dry drop in filter, still planning on cutting out the corrugated section of the stock tube and replacing with a straight tube. Haven't got around to that yet...

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone needs to make a 3rd generation style ram scoop that was out back in the day. I think cost was 50 bucks.
Bolted right up to the passenger side headlight and was a perfect fit/spot for cold air to directed right into the area of the stock airbox, which I ran a drop-in K&N filter.

2837.jpg

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried both Vararam and S&B with a Corsa exhaust and both made a bunch of noise and nothing noticeable on the butt dyno. I thought the vararam was fairly flimsy the way it sits on the engine and I couldn't get comfortable with that and the noise. If either performed better maybe but keep in mind, if you increase air in and air out you need to tune to take full advantage and get maximum gains. I like a little more tone in my exhaust but honestly any gains are minimal on most daily drivers.
I'm currently running a dry filter on mine and I'm happy with it and think it runs better than either of the other two. Just my 2 cents.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled my grille shutters the other day & moved my coolant overflow tank over to the driver's side more to get more air to the S&B intake. I ran a 12.68 @ 106.9 today spinning bad on R/T 22's & full weight on a bolt on R/T....that S&B is doing something ;)

A buddy w/ pretty much the same mods except his stock cats vs my catless y pipe was consistantly running a few tenths slower than mine & has the Vararam. Looking at the Vararam it looked cool but I barely touched it & it moved & rattled. I wouldnt give $100 for that flimsy junk much less $300.
20180109_180355.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think part of the stability of the Vararam comes from the hood being shut and the hood sealing up against the rubber molding at the top edge of the Vararam. The Vararam will move when the hood is up due to the fact that is only attached to the throttle body with the 4" tube and the clamps. I think that the Vararam performs best while at WOT and at highway speed. Driving around town I don't think you will notice much difference.
Jay

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled my grille shutters the other day & moved my coolant overflow tank over to the driver's side more to get more air to the S&B intake. I ran a 12.68 @ 106.9 today spinning bad on R/T 22's & full weight on a bolt on R/T....that S&B is doing something ;)

A buddy w/ pretty much the same mods except his stock cats vs my catless y pipe was consistantly running a few tenths slower than mine & has the Vararam. Looking at the Vararam it looked cool but I barely touched it & it moved & rattled. I wouldnt give $100 for that flimsy junk much less $300.
View attachment 117899

Glad you like your S&B, and I agree with Pull Ya^^^^ as a Vararam owner. I am one of those that just decided to trust what Matt at Moes has communicated on this forum multiple times regarding the extra 16-18 horsepower he's estimated thru track runs and dyno. He does also say that being a ram air unit, the faster you go and the higher the rpm's, the more power it makes. As there's no way to really prove it without someone actually paying to do 2 dyno runs back to back, one with the unit and one without and somehow getting the same airflow at the same time, that you would get flying down the freeway or the track, you've really got to take some of it on faith like any other product. Unless someone actually proves to me that it's actually the flimsy non performing junk that you claim it to be, being that I spent a good chunk of money on it, I'll keep the faith LOL!!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CAI's I think are much like anything else. It's more personal preference than anything else. If you like the way it looks and the way it fits and sounds then it's your choice on which one you get. Everyone doesn't like the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you like your S&B, and I agree with Pull Ya^^^^ as a Vararam owner. I am one of those that just decided to trust what Matt at Moes has communicated on this forum multiple times regarding the extra 16-18 horsepower he's estimated thru track runs and dyno. He does also say that being a ram air unit, the faster you go and the higher the rpm's, the more power it makes. As there's no way to really prove it without someone actually paying to do 2 dyno runs back to back, one with the unit and one without and somehow getting the same airflow at the same time, that you would get flying down the freeway or the track, you've really got to take some of it on faith like any other product. Unless someone actually proves to me that it's actually the flimsy non performing junk that you claim it to be, being that I spent a good chunk of money on it, I'll keep the faith LOL!!

So yours doesnt move when you barely put pressure on it?

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im no designer or a performance tech of any kind but i dont see how ANY cai makes power "UNLESS" at higher speeds to pressurize the airbox.....A dyno run i dont suspect will show and worth while gains but again im no tech..
As far as i can tell it works the same way as on a crotch rocket with the air intakes between the headlights...

For me,ill save the big coin on the fancy cai and try the diy mod for much less...

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So yours doesnt move when you barely put pressure on it?

Yep, it sure does and it's what I least like about it, but I understand the design and reassure myself every time I look at the underside
of my hood and see the deep indentation where the Vararam gasket it being clamped down and sealed every time I shut the hood:emotions34:IMG_0081.JPG

goinyaking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to trust the factory CAI and used a drop-in Green Performance filter and like it so far

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The volant kit is very nice and we can offer a good deal on that. The other 2 popular options we offer is vararam and S&B

The Vararam has proven to be the bigger hp gain of all the options. although I feel the volant and S&B arent far behind in hp and the they will offer better filtration.

message me if you would like a quote on anything. we offer discounts to the members here on everything!

Nick
I am getting ready to order an S&B for a 17 ram 2500 6.4 hemi
What's your price on one
S&B said I need this one

https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-intakes/dodge-ram-6-4-hemi-intake-75-5087

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decided to trust the factory CAI and used a drop-in Green Performance filter and like it so far

Same here. Happy with oem and add a tube! Added 3.5 hp today to it. Lol. Would have been 4hp at least but got a little overspray at rams head chin.

20180207_164017.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep. Its been painted again since pics were taken

20180107_170032.jpg

Screenshot_20180207-171035.jpg

Screenshot_20180207-171110.jpg