Cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
So I wanted to find out from you guys who already have these cold air intakes if they are beneficial or what's up with them. I do need to replace my air filter and was considering getting one of these are there benefits or is it just for looks?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're going to do a lot of performance mods than it's just 1 step in the overall package, more air in, performance tuning, headers and free flowing exhaust to get more air out.

If all you're doing is just adding the intake, most guys will agree that it isn't the best use of $300. You'll get more air in but the truck doesn't know what to do with it, so no major gains are made.

Like I said, they're 1 piece of the overall performance puzzle, but by themselves they look good and you'll hear it breathing a little louder under the hood, but no real mpg or hp added.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As yortnodnarb sez, on their own they don't provide any meaningful power gain. They do improve throttle response some.

However, they really come into their own as part of a system which includes intake, exhaust and a programmer with a custom tune. That combination of mods is well worth the money, IMHO.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That search function really does work! I was thinking about doing this as well but really have no interest in adding many other mods. I do have the Pedal Commander installed.

Guess I'll just put the $300 towards another gun.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
As yortnodnarb sez, on their own they don't provide any meaningful power gain. They do improve throttle response some.

However, they really come into their own as part of a system which includes intake, exhaust and a programmer with a custom tune. That combination of mods is well worth the money, IMHO.
Second or third that lol. They sound mean but nothing else maybe a little throttle response. But with other upgrades and a tuner definitely will help.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, I'm happy with my VARARAM install/exhaust FM/5" tips all made an increase in MILEAGE/throttle-

JIMBO

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, individually they do little regarding increases in hp or tq or gas mileage. Paired with other mod's that are available, a CAI would be a worthwhile addition, with Vararam being at the top of the list--IMHO.
Jay

Last edited:

VaterVieler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Just to get started on the mods mentioned- what intake is the berries?
(‘16 2500 5.7)

Thanks V-V

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Apparently the guys who say they provide no horsepower gains haven’t had the right CAI. Popping in a K&N kit is almost worthless.
I’ve had two ‘Hemi-under-glass’ systems made by Vararam. These cold air induction systems made 22 rwhp on the Dyno. They looked and sounded awesome too! These kits aren’t the easiest to install but where are you going to get those type of numbers for a little over $300.00? I installed the Vararam V6 kit on my former wife’s Camaro RS and it was 33 bhp!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen a video of a volant Cai on a Chevy 5.3 give 26hp to the wheels. But the factory intake was a massive choking hazard at best. It all depends on the vehicle. Go go Varam

baldpope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just posting to follow this thread. Have a 2015 V6 3.6L as a daily driver (dropping my boys at school, to/from work and staying within ~5MPH of speed limits with cruise) I'm averaging about 17-18MPG. Interested in an air-intake/exhaust mod to improve performance while hauling.

I'm sliding into the old-fart category and not necessarily interested in racing down the street just to beat the other driver to a red-light.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently the guys who say they provide no horsepower gains haven’t had the right CAI. Popping in a K&N kit is almost worthless.
I’ve had two ‘Hemi-under-glass’ systems made by Vararam. These cold air induction systems made 22 rwhp on the Dyno. They looked and sounded awesome too! These kits aren’t the easiest to install but where are you going to get those type of numbers for a little over $300.00? I installed the Vararam V6 kit on my former wife’s Camaro RS and it was 33 bhp!
Post the dyno sheets and what brand of dyno

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think I’m the only ram member that doesn’t like the look of the vararam..... that’s just my personal opinion. I just do t like that big ol thing sitting on top like that. I prefer the traditional type air intake

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I’m the only ram member that doesn’t like the look of the vararam..... that’s just my personal opinion. I just do t like that big ol thing sitting on top like that. I prefer the traditional type air intake

No i think they are ugly also. Reminds me of the mach 1 mustang air intake.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No i think they are ugly also. Reminds me of the mach 1 mustang air intake.

Yeah, y'all are probably the only two guys in the world that don't like the way they look, but hey, that's okay. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, right? I guess we like the "Old school" muscle car Hemi look, at least I do. And they're at the top with a couple more for performance too, what a combination!

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, y'all are probably the only two guys in the world that don't like the way they look, but hey, that's okay. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, right? I guess we like the "Old school" muscle car Hemi look, at least I do. And they're at the top with a couple more for performance too, what a combination!

I just dont like how the intake hides so much of the motor mainly.