Cold starting the Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have been having problem starting my 6.7 cummins with push start button. Not always but sometime when I try and start the truck I step on the brake, push the button and the truck immediately cranks the motor, no wait for the grid heater. last night it happened again. The outside temperature was -26'C (-15'F), I opened the door got in stepped on the brake, pushed the button and expected a pause for the grid heater to warm up but immediate crank of the engine, of course it didn't start, coughed once and stalled. Pushed the button again and immediate crank again, engine coughed and stalled again. I than removed my foot from the brake pedal and pushed the start button twice and the grid heater went through its cycle, I cycled it twice (for good measure) than stepped on the brake pushed the button and again immediate crank but this time the engine started and stayed running as I had manually warmed up the grid heater. Is the truck not supposed to determine the outside temperature and run the grid heater on it's own depending on it's needs. Sometime it runs the grid heater on its own and sometimes not. Just trying to figure out what is normal.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It should hesitate to start given that temperature until the grid heater warms up. Sounds as if your truck needs some diagnostics performed.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should hesitate to start given that temperature until the grid heater warms up. Sounds as if your truck needs some diagnostics performed.

haha I can already tell your first 3 trips to dealer. All will be "tested and all works as expected"

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

That what I think as well, but I drove it several times this weekend and all worked as normal. I wonder if a low battery would cause this malfunction? As it had been weeks since the truck was last driven, after I finally got it started and drove it all seems to work as normal now.

haha I can already tell your first 3 trips to dealer. All will be "tested and all works as expected"

Probably right on that one.

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
After I bought my truck I realized it didn't have the block heater cord installed. I went on Amazon and got a cord for $26 and installed it. Big difference coming up to temperature on my 17 minute drive to work. I also put a grill cover on it. A must in my situation. I don't have a push button start, so it's up to me to see the glow plug light go out then I turn the key.