Come on RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I completely disagree with the no change is good. The only things that kept me in a Ram for 2016 were the fuel efficiency of the ecodiesel, and the air suspension. If ford's new F 150 diesel is as good or better than the ED I can see myself getting one of those in a few years. Ford has a lot more tech in their Platinum line trucks for the same amount of money as a loaded up Ram Limited. I liked the Longhorn interior better than the limited, but couldn't bring myself to buy a truck that looked EXACTLY the same as my 2014 being that it was 2 years later, with absolutely 0 changes. It felt like there was no point. I think they need to have changes every couple of years.

Other things too, like why doesn't the half ton had power folding tow mirrors like the 2500's?! Why would that not be an option? it makes no sense.

Why don't we have the HID headlight options like high line Jeeps or Chrysler cars do?

Why don't we have a Nav as detailed as the one that comes in a $20,000 Dodge dart?!

Why don't Rams have the blind spot monitoring or collision warning? Jeeps have it.

Ford and GM have this stuff, so Ram should too if they want to keep up.

I'm totally with you on this one. I'm not a fan of the Platinum look but otherwise this f150 ticks every box I have if I was about to get a new pickup. I think they look great, it has nice sharp lines, and the lighting is modern unlike RAM's. I think Ford did a great job on it

1483821126392.jpg

mattyk2188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
The front end looks 1000x's better than it's predecessor so they got that one right & a change was most definitely in order from the last couple of grille/headlight combos they had going on. But idk why they insist to maintain those God awful stubby little **** mirrors. The designer of those should be taken out to the woodshed. Why doesn't RAM change? Why fix what's not broken? I think they did just enough with the 13's retooling. I'm just glad they don't keep making mistakes like the other manufacturers seem to do. I'm excited for what RAM has in-store for the '19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long has it been since Toyota did a major update to the Tacoma?

The new F-150 looks too boxy for my tastes, at least Ram tried to round the edges on their "lets use the three box method to design a pickup" routine. Looked online at 2016 Fords before I bought my Ram and I can't believe they want someone to pay $40K - $50K for a V-6, Ecoboob twin turbo or not. Their previous body style was really nice, I looked at a few used ones but got a great deal on a new Ram.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You've obviously never used those systems. They're amazing, and work great!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ha no I know how to drive and dont need that crap. dont need a back up Camara either..lol

I bought a Express for the simple fact it does not have any of that type of crap on it.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my Ram, but agree change in the automotive world is a huge positive. And manufacturers put a heck of a lot of money into constantly updating/upgrading their trucks, trucks are a huge profit for the big 3. And just look at it like this, if they didn't update to the 4th gen you own and love now, then you'd still have a 2017 3rd gen.... lets see what the 5th gen will bring... you'll be talking about it like this 6-7 years from now while waiting for the 6th gen. lol
While this is a RAM forum, so most are biased, I fully admit all the brands are incredible rides. I mean, the tech in all of them is fantastic. Nissan put a lot into the new Titan, and it really is a great truck. Toyota is lagging too, but I was at a dealership with a Platinum in the showroom.. the truck was badass, interior really was sweet. Ford has the next gen eco that is rocking 375/470 with a 10 speed. Say what you will, but you have to admit that is pretty awsome.
I say it's a really good thing all the brands push the way they do, it gives me hope Ram is going to come out with an out of the park hit with the 5th gen, they have had the time and it really is like a game, the brands all push each other to get better and better.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i live in ford country and i have never never not achieved the window sticker mpg with any ram i have owned. if they lie about that, how can i believe the tow rating, carry capacity ect.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Im still not buying a Ford! I dont care if it has 9 turobchargers with a 10th phantom turbocharger that can turn back time.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long has it been since Toyota did a major update to the Tacoma?

The new F-150 looks too boxy for my tastes, at least Ram tried to round the edges on their "lets use the three box method to design a pickup" routine. Looked online at 2016 Fords before I bought my Ram and I can't believe they want someone to pay $40K - $50K for a V-6, Ecoboob twin turbo or not. Their previous body style was really nice, I looked at a few used ones but got a great deal on a new Ram.

Like it or not, "sharp modern lines" are what's trending in the automotive world now. And that's one thing RAM does not have now. The sport hood looks great for example, it has a cool retro muscle car look to it along with the faux intake vents and the raised induction style hump. But that's where it ends. The bumper is an amorphous rounded blob and that's not what's hot anymore with everyone else doing sharp modern lines. Everything other than the sport isn't doing any better with the plain jane rounded lower bumper and basic plain fogs.

Moving onto to lighting, come on. Those basic amber LED "dots" look sad when pretty much everyone has moved on to solid white LED surrounds for DRL and solid surround bar LED on tail lights. Look at how many of you keep posting how much you like those cheap C shape eBay LED tail lights on this forum. Right, you mean like the GM's have, but worse? :naughty:

The interior on the Sport and Laramie trims are very nice I'll grant you that but the other trucks aren't really any worse at those trim levels. But Sync 3 >>> uConnect. Way better. And as good as the 8 speed hemi combo is, 99.9% of the smack talk about the ecoboost is mostly crap talk by people who just parrot what they heard their friend's cousin's brother who supposedly works for Ford said. It's a good engine, they've started to prove themselves, and you hear more positive than negative about them if you look anywhere other than a RAM forum. Oh and ride? Horsepucks. The RAM is comfortable but there's nothing wrong with the others either. Another one I'll chalk up to people who just like to parrot what they read someone else on a forum write.

A lot of the comments I've seen in this thread could've been taken directly from the script of a "grumpy old men" movie. I'm sorry if you have a hate on "dang gumfounded newfangled technology" old timers, but I'll give due credit to companies that innovate and lead rather than a company who stagnates hanging onto the outdated any day. Ford is innovating, FCA most definitely is not. If I ever stepped into a new RAM it would have to at least be a Rebel or no RAM at all... but then again... Raptor says hi. Price be damned.

Ford is doing exactly what the market is demanding FCA is failing to do so, and I wholeheartedly agree with the title of this thread.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I jut replaced my 2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel with the 2016 Laramie with 5.7 gas.

Love the interior and especially the ride. Wife happy!

Better mileage so far with 1800 mile on her.

Looked at the Ford- Just could not jump ship here. The Ford F 150 jut does not match up!

Last two Dodge's have lasted 18 years so far. 1999 2500 had 201,000 miles ,not one day in the shop ,2005 with 139000 and never saw a day in the shop.

But now didn't need the heavy duty truck anymore.

And where else can you buy a truck and add a turbine, add new coils, and injectors and have 500 ponies to play with.

Gotta love Mopar.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from Fords to Rams. I don't know what the newest are like but they were roomy but the sync was slow. Press screen and wait. I don't think any of the current truck manufacturers make a sub par product. They each have their quirks though. Ram must not be too far behind, they posted better sales to prior year than Ford and GM full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
New technology and being a innovator is one thing and is all great, but putting things on trucks that you dont need just to raise the price is something else. Hopefully they will keep all the new worthless "tech" as a option for people because some people do not need or want things like park assist or backing your trailer for you and do not want to have to pay for it.
Call me grumpy if you want but that crap is a waste of money and if you haft to have it to be able to drive maybe you need a driving class..lol

as for hating of other brands, well I have a Ram, 2 Fords and 2 Chevys.
Not a hater just bought what was the best truck out for me at the time.

I am hopeful that it wont matter to me anyway as I just bought a brand new truck and if it last like my last one my grumpy old ass wont need another one..

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New technology and being a innovator is one thing and is all great, but putting things on trucks that you dont need just to raise the price is something else. Hopefully they will keep all the new worthless "tech" as a option for people because some people do not need or want things like park assist or backing your trailer for you and do not want to have to pay for it.
Call me grumpy if you want but that crap is a waste of money and if you haft to have it to be able to drive maybe you need a driving class..lol

I've been seeing this exact post on forums for over 15 years.

I'm quite sure you can order/buy a base Ram with next to nothing on it and you do not need to pay for any of that.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I'm quite sure you can order/buy a base Ram with next to nothing on it and you do not need to pay for any of that.

Yes!

You can still buy a 2wd regular cab 1500 with vinyl seats, crank windows, and no keyless entry. They're not exactly forcing the bells & whistles on you. lol

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Yep and thats what I bought, but If you have been seeing that post for 15 years I for sure am not alone in my grumpy ass thinking..lol

But in all I am paying for all that new tech even though my truck does not have it, everyone is that buys a new truck even though its not on the option list.

Dont matter anyway nobody cares what I think anyway..lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
blrmkrl83

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The technology would be nice for the people that want it, but that is beyond my price point so I'm not worried about that. There are plenty of people out there that do care though. I guess I'm not sure what RAM offers as far as the latest tech. RAM does have a good range of trucks. The Express is a good looking basic truck.
My big thing with the post was the looks. I hate leather seats so I'm limited to a Big Horn or an Outdoorsman, which is what I have now. Here's pics of a 2009 and a 2017. Not that much difference. Everyone on here can tell the differences, but I would bet most people can't unless they're next to each other. Yes the interiors are different, yes I think the HEMI is the best engine out there, and yes the ride is superior to any other truck. If I had to have a new truck I would buy another RAM, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend the money to trade a perfectly good truck on something that is 6 years newer and barely looks different.

Attachments

• 2009 ram.jpg
    2009 ram.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 52
  • 2017 ram.jpg
    2017 ram.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 55

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I completely disagree with the no change is good. The only things that kept me in a Ram for 2016 were the fuel efficiency of the ecodiesel, and the air suspension. If ford's new F 150 diesel is as good or better than the ED I can see myself getting one of those in a few years. Ford has a lot more tech in their Platinum line trucks for the same amount of money as a loaded up Ram Limited. I liked the Longhorn interior better than the limited, but couldn't bring myself to buy a truck that looked EXACTLY the same as my 2014 being that it was 2 years later, with absolutely 0 changes. It felt like there was no point. I think they need to have changes every couple of years.

Other things too, like why doesn't the half ton had power folding tow mirrors like the 2500's?! Why would that not be an option? it makes no sense.

Why don't we have the HID headlight options like high line Jeeps or Chrysler cars do?

Why don't we have a Nav as detailed as the one that comes in a $20,000 Dodge dart?!

Why don't Rams have the blind spot monitoring or collision warning? Jeeps have it.

Ford and GM have this stuff, so Ram should too if they want to keep up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The NAV in my 2016 RAM is just as detailed as the NAV was in my 2015 Charger, and more so than the NAV was in my 2013 Charger. I guess I don't know what the Dart has that the RAM doesn't, because I'm pretty sure the Uconnect 8.4 Systems all use Garmin, but I may be wrong. I for one appreciate the simplicity of Garmin, it's easy to use, and it gets me where I need to go. I have yet for my Garmin based NAV to send me the wrong way.

I could really care less about Blind Spot Monitors, there are aftermarket options for that and usually the aftermarket is better than stock, and cheaper. That's just my own preference though, I do agree RAM should probably get in line adding this feature on their high end luxury trucks.

Ford and GM have new trucks out, so of course they have more features, as they should when they both went through redesigns within the past couple of years. For as much as people complain about RAM not coming out with a totally new truck every few years, I find it pretty funny to talk about GM considering the fact that GM built the exact same Silverado from 2007-2013 with barely any changes during that time. Since 2009 the RAM has seen new packages, and new features added and it received a minor refresh in 2013 that added new features such as 8 Speed Automatic Transmissions, Active Grille Shutters, and interior freshening, etc... That's not even mentioning that RAM added the Ecodiesel as an option on half ton trucks when no other company offered a diesel equipped half ton.

Honestly, I'm still of the mentality that RAM is doing things right. They built a good truck, the sales reflect that, and they've freshened it up as necessary while they take their time to make sure they get the next design right. I'd prefer that over them rushing things to the market every few years and driving the prices of their trucks up into Ford/GM territory.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The NAV in my 2016 RAM is just as detailed as the NAV was in my 2015 Charger, and more so than the NAV was in my 2013 Charger. I guess I don't know what the Dart has that the RAM doesn't, because I'm pretty sure the Uconnect 8.4 Systems all use Garmin, but I may be wrong. I for one appreciate the simplicity of Garmin, it's easy to use, and it gets me where I need to go. I have yet for my Garmin based NAV to send me the wrong way.

I could really care less about Blind Spot Monitors, there are aftermarket options for that and usually the aftermarket is better than stock, and cheaper. That's just my own preference though, I do agree RAM should probably get in line adding this feature on their high end luxury trucks.

Ford and GM have new trucks out, so of course they have more features, as they should when they both went through redesigns within the past couple of years. For as much as people complain about RAM not coming out with a totally new truck every few years, I find it pretty funny to talk about GM considering the fact that GM built the exact same Silverado from 2007-2013 with barely any changes during that time. Since 2009 the RAM has seen new packages, and new features added and it received a minor refresh in 2013 that added new features such as 8 Speed Automatic Transmissions, Active Grille Shutters, and interior freshening, etc... That's not even mentioning that RAM added the Ecodiesel as an option on half ton trucks when no other company offered a diesel equipped half ton.

Honestly, I'm still of the mentality that RAM is doing things right. They built a good truck, the sales reflect that, and they've freshened it up as necessary while they take their time to make sure they get the next design right. I'd prefer that over them rushing things to the market every few years and driving the prices of their trucks up into Ford/GM territory.

I 100% agree. My 15 Silverado was a nice truck, but it had a lot of little annoying issues also, some of that is from rushing things out in my opinion.

One thing about dodge is the body style is unmistakable. You know it's a RAM. I can't say that with ford, Chevy, Nissan now, etc. But that's just my opinion

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I personally like the current look of ram and hope they dont mess it up with the redesign I have only owned gm but am considering ram for my next truck in cocouple years. I hate front end on current Silverado. Only thing I can think of for ram is better factory rim options instead of chrome 20s and dark black cloth instead of the gray.