Compatible rear end info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Hey gang. Please point me to it if it exsists sonewhere already. Couldn't find it searching...
I have recently aquired a 98 ram 1500 gas 5.9 auto 4x4 4 door (2 full and 2 suicide door)
My question is this. Is there a sticky or list on this site that shows what compatible rear ends I can choose from that need no mods to be able to put in place of the one I have? It's pretty shot and I'd like to put a 2500 3/4 ton rear end on it. Wanna hit pick a part to get a deal. Even if I have to rebuild this 2500 rear end, I'd rather upgrade to that thhan stick another 1500 rear end in it.

Also, what style is the cab called I have? Crew? Full? Club? Etc?
Cheers
Much thanks ahead.
Daz

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You have the extended cab. I believe the club can has the rear bench but no half doors.

First things to do, checkout the plenum thread that is stickied at the top of the Engine&Performace section.

Next, I strongly recommend you either put a tranny cooler on, or if it already has one, lookup the checkball removal from the cooling line.

Just some things to keep in mind. You have a Dodge truck, it's not a racer, and never will be (short of a complete overhaul), but it has moving power. Fuel economy wont be great, but unlike Fords, it wont drop into the low single digits when you stick a little Uhaul on it. The thing about Dodge transmissions, is true, to a point. They are horrible if you don't take a few preventative measures. Firstly, making sure you have a tranny cooler, second, and i've had to change my stance on this since mine went out, 30K fluid and filter changes on the trans. You cant run 150K on the same oil like with a Chevy.

As for the rear end, it depends on why you want to upgrade. If you just want a beefier set of springs, just get an add a leaf or a new pack with 5 leafs. If you want lower gearing, just gear the thing out. However, if you do decide to replace the rear, just make sure your U-joint working angles are properly matched, you will get horrible U-joint life and strange vibrations if they are too far out.

Otherwise, just spend a little time looking around and congrats on your new truck. These engines won't let you down.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Any 2500 rear will need to have your leafs swapped over or new hangers welded on for the 3" springs instead of your 2.5"

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you swap in the 2500 rear end you will also end up with 8 lugs on the rear and 5 lugs on the front.

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Thanks for the replies and info guys. Much appreciated.
I have an oversized rad and tranny cooler already installed. I thought all the 5.9s did. Why would anyone pick a 5.9 option if they weren't planing on hauling? And if that was the case why would a 5.9 ever be offered without a tranny cooler? Seems a no brainer to me but what do I know.
That being said, how do I know or what do I look for to determine if a have a factory tow package installed?
There is no brake controller but there is a class 3 hitch receiver and it is a 5.9 which again would lead me to believe it should have the tow package again, I see no reason for a larger engine unless you want to haul **** with it.
I have a brake controller and the wiring harness to plug and play it. I have no problem running wiring for a 7 way trailer plug. Done a few before.
Just got my load range E rubber on the rimms and gonna swap out the ridiculous hot wheels tires the guy had on it before me. Then onto the rear end and the tow hook up. Gonna stick with suggestion to ad a leaf and also put airbags in the rear. Then I don't have to mess around with different wheels front and rear and not have to carry two diffo size spares.
The reason for swapping out is because the bearings and or diff are shot in this one. Figured if it was a straight swap without welding r mods it would make sense to go up a weight class.
I don't have an issue doing the bearings and diff gears though.
Thanks again..
Daz