Complete How to do a LED Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a some interest in my complete LED conversion. I will attempt here to show you how I did it, and what I used. I will say this, I am a family man so my funds on most of my mods have to stay on the cheap side. Doesn't mean that I sacrifice quality, because I do my homework on brands. You could go the expensive route and although I can't say if they will last any longer or be any brighter, but this is a cheap way to get bright lights. I spent total including inside bulbs for right around $75.00. All of my bulbs were just plug and play. No splicing. My truck is a 2012 Lonestar editon, so if you have a fancier model, you may have some different bulbs on the inside. If you add them to your blinkers, you will get an info warning saying they aren't working, but they are. I am not sure how to fix this. It doesn't bother me.

Lets start with your bulb numbers:
4th Gen LEDs
Reverse - 921
Cargo Lights/Top mount break light - 921
Map lights - 921
Dome light - 4410
License plate - 194
Tail lights / Brake lights- 3157
Front turn signal / Side marker - 3157

4th Gen HIDs
Quad lights
High beams - 9005/HB3
Low beams - H11

Dual lights
High/Low - H13/9008

Fog lights
(regardless of headlights)
H10/9145/9140

These were the bulbs that I bought:
Brake lights and blinker bulbs 3157: They make orange ones. I like the clear ones though:
4X 3157/3156 Xenon 6000K White SMD Chip LED Reverse Backup Lights bulbs Lamps | eBay

921 for the reverse and 3rd brake light. It will also do map lights inside.
20 X T10/921/194 RV Trailer 42-SMD White 12V Backup Reverse Led Light Bulbs 6k | eBay

9005 high beams
7600LM 60W Cree LED headlight Kit 9005 HB3 H10 9140 9145 6000K bulb Pair | eBay

H11 low beams:

2016 80W 8000LM CREE LED H11 Headlight Kit Low Beam Bulbs 6000K White High Power | eBay

Fog lights H10:
2X 9005 HB3 H10 6000K 100W LED HID White Samsung2323 Fog Driving DRL Light Bulbs | eBay
I bought this and it took care of the interior and reverse lights, the third brake light, and the license plate bulbs. I highly recommend this kit and cutting out 921link. You can knock it all out with that one kit.
12x White Interior LED Lights Package Kit for 2009-2014 Dodge RAM 1500 + TOOL

Once I got them all, it took me about a week to get them all I installed them. Here are some videos on how to remove your lights.
Tail light removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZS3M4m4K1g

Third Brake Light Removal and reseal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IunJTTrfMGE

License Plate Bulb Removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82FnenNp0ac

Headlight Removal I found it easier to take the grill out too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrUH1qs_s0

Fog light removal 13+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueyxgGQQz8

On the 09-12's you can just lay under the front of the truck and turn counter clock wise and replace it.

Interior Bulb removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmALp8DNYAo

On any of these bulbs if they do not turn on they may need to be flipped over 180*.

Here are some before and after pictures of my truck with LED bulbs:
Headlight and foglight LED vs Halogen:
LED%20Bulbs3_zpspwtywpws.jpg

Brights, LED vs Halogen:
LED%20Bulbs4_zpshshz2ryn.jpg

Finished excuse the cool blue fog lights, I ordered the wrong ones. I have more on the way:
LED%20Bulbs5_zpsryqtfhpw.jpg

Night time shots: The fence is a good 50 yards away:
LED%20Bulbs8_zpsv55yvwss.jpg

Excuse the bad shot they are aimed correctly:
LED%20Bulbs7_zpsrtsdznox.jpg

Rear Shot:
LED%20Bulbs9_zps8cbsiyvs.jpg

Driving shot of my super dark private drive:
LED%20Bulbs2_zpsdmxpfvgl.jpg

I hope this will help you out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are a few more random shots and an interior shot of my LED's

LED%20Bulbs10_zps8krnpmyh.jpg

LEd%20Bulb13_zpsew8ny2yx.jpg

LED%20Bulb14_zpsncutgfyl.jpg

LED%20Bulb11_zpspxqpud1n.jpg

LED%20Bulb12_zps4h0hn2hj.jpg

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Did those high beam bulbs fit the headlight housing without issue??

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did those high beam bulbs fit the headlight housing without issue??

My only issue was the high beam. The ones I bought had a power box and the fan on the back of the bulb. I couldn't get the back cover all the way on it. It's on there and I am really not worried to much about it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up Sir , good info here !

USMC_Ram909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question is, I do a real lot of driving, do the LEDs reflect that badly onto oncoming vehicles? I would love some nicer, brighter headlights and foglights, without killing anyone though haha

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great write up thanks for the info!

Thanks!
My question is, I do a real lot of driving, do the LEDs reflect that badly onto oncoming vehicles? I would love some nicer, brighter headlights and foglights, without killing anyone though haha

No they aren't anything like HID's in the wrong kind of headlights. In all honesty if I had went with the orange LED blinker bulbs they almost look stock. I have yet to have anyone flash me because I was blinding them. People around here are real good about that.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!

No they aren't anything like HID's in the wrong kind of headlights. In all honesty if I had went with the orange LED blinker bulbs they almost look stock. I have yet to have anyone flash me because I was blinding them. People around here are real good about that.
Alright. A friend of mine has eBay led bulbs in his headlights and says he's blinding everyone. May just be his adjustments

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 02 silverado some year back that someone had swapped in HID's back when that first became the "cool thing to do" I was constantly having people flash me. I have had them in for 1 week as of today and they don't seem to bother anyone.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so an update. I attempted to do this same set up on my wife's Ford Flex. Anyways I found out, just because the bulbs claim to be let's say 120w 6k the non fan bulbs like I put in mine are not bright. I got to looking and the lumens needs to be at least 10000. I got to looking and the non fan type are low. My wife's were 6000. I had to adjust her headlights, but they suck. The halogen bulbs are brighter
.. So I just ordered her some 12000 lumens 120w 6k fan bulbs. I hope this corrects the issues. I am also going to mess with using the fan style in the fog lights. Look for updates soon.

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stupid question..... how do I know which front headlights I have? I have a stock 2015 Big Horn.

4th Gen HIDs
Quad lights
High beams - 9005/HB3
Low beams - H11

Dual lights
High/Low - H13/9008

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
stupid question..... how do I know which front headlights I have? I have a stock 2015 Big Horn.

4th Gen HIDs
Quad lights
High beams - 9005/HB3
Low beams - H11

Dual lights
High/Low - H13/9008

You should have the quad lights.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK well we got my wife's fan style leds today and although we had to do some headlight adjusting, my wife's flex has super bright led lights. Don't settle for non fan style.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I really want to do this mod but i have a few questions if you don't mind helping. I have a 2011 1500 Big Horn. Like the previous question I'm not sure what headlights i Have. I'm assuming the HID quad lights. Also for the links you provided the head lights say they won't work for our trucks I'm assuming that doesn't matter since you used them, or did you have to make some modifications? Great wright up by the way.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really want to do this mod but i have a few questions if you don't mind helping. I have a 2011 1500 Big Horn. Like the previous question I'm not sure what headlights i Have. I'm assuming the HID quad lights. Also for the links you provided the head lights say they won't work for our trucks I'm assuming that doesn't matter since you used them, or did you have to make some modifications? Great wright up by the way.

Let me help ya's.

Ram's come from the factory with basically two headlight designs. Quads and Projectors.

Quads: (The Duel's shown here are for the 09-12 trucks I believe)
IMAG0018.jpg

Projectors:
2013.TYC.PRJ-2.jpg

Now you can check out what yours look like and figure out what you need using this thread!

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Greetings, I have a question for anyone using this set up in their truck. I installed the headlights (I Have the Quads) using the same brands as described by the author of the thread. In the first week of having them installed I keep getting an intermittent TPS failure and this morning my Service 4wd light came on. I turned the truck off then back on and the service 4wd light went off and didn't come back on. As for the TPS it comes on after driving for a little while and then just goes off on its own. Could this be linked to the headlights or just a coincidence?