Considering a 2007 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am considering purchasing a 2007 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 4WD with the 5.9 Cummins Engine. The rig has the following mods:

Edge Juice computer with Attitude Monitor
5" Tubo Back Exhaust with Muffler
ATS Exhaust manifold with pyrometer port for monitoring EGT's.
S&B Intake with smooth intake horn.
3" Pure Performance Lift, including adjustable control arms
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
35" Toyo Open Country MT's
20" BMF Novakane Stealth Wheels
Bushwacker Pocket Flares
Firestone Air Bags
ATS High Capacity rear diff cover
Line-X Bedliner
Kenwood DNX Navigation System

The rig has about 50k miles and the seller is asking a fair price for it, so I am seriously considering moving on it soon.

The rig has a perfect maintenance history to date. That being said, are there any widespread issues with this model of RAM? Any recommendations I should be asking the seller? This will be my first diesel truck, so any help that can be given will be most appreciated!

(This rig will be used as a DD and a once-a-month tow pig.)

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well it sounds like a great truck with some of the top of the line upgrades to it but my big red flag here is not a single mention of what kind of transmission or any transmission upgrades
Whether it has a G56 6 speed or a 48re automatic each transmission needs some supporting mods to handle the extra power the already installed engine modifications

OP
OP
I

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Its an auto with the 48re transmission. Do you think I'd be running the risk of blowing the transmission when towing with the mods as they stand now?

EDIT: I will be towing about 9000 lbs on my monthly pulls. Most pulls will be around 200 miles, but there will be one or two pulls a year around 2000 miles. (No incredibly mountainous terrain, but hills and valleys for sure.)

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would run it on a stock setting while towing and wouldn't turn go much more then 40-60hp tune with a stock trans

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
^^^^
Exactly what this guy said. I'd definitely jump on the truck, sounds awesome! I've had my 2007 5.9 for almost a year and haven't had a single problem with it, other than a tie rod issue that was under a recall.

BTW, I'd go ahead and start saving money to beef the trans up. That 48re is an awesome trans once it's built!

OP
OP
I

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am gonna sleep on the purchase one more night, but I am likely going to pull the trigger on the rig. Well built + low miles + right price ... I think it'll be great.

If anyone from central MD is reading this thread, I will be looking for a place to have the rig inspected. Any suggestions?