Coolant and Flushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I was on the phone talking to Dave about other issues and ask him straight out... "How old is your coolant?" he replied "It's still green!". Well this is not good and just judging coolant on color is a poor practise and will cost you dearly. As coolant ages it will drift away from neutral pH level of 7 it can go up or down in pH level. In any case as it drifts more either direction the coolant become corrosive. By the time your coolant is turning color its too late and the damage is done... As for damages it can be any combination of the list below.
  • Head Gasket
  • Oil cooler (dealer only item costing about $600 bucks)
  • Radiator
  • Heater core (a real PITA to change!)
  • Transmission cooler and heat exchanger.
So if you change you coolant every 30K miles or every 3 years which ever comes first you'll have no issues.

Here is 100K miles at 5 years...
block.jpg

radiator.jpg

Here is 180K miles and 9 years.
block9.JPG

radiator9.JPG

Coolant change is a make or break to if your engines cooling system. As for flushing out the block and refilling the system...

1. Drain the old coolant into a suitable container for disposal.
  2. Remove upper hose
  3. Remove thermostat
  4. Take a old rag and pack the upper radiator fitting so to hold water
  5. Using a garden hose on a good flow place in the radiator and allow it to flow.
  6. Start the engine and allow the water to flow till all signs of old coolant and debris is gone.
  7. Shut down and drain.
  8. Reassemble with new thermostat and the upper hose.
  9. Close all drains.
As for mixing coolant. Its typically mixed 50/50 but since the system only hold 6 gallons and typically only get 5 to 5.5 gallons out I would pour 1 gallon of antifreeze in without mixing. Then all other I would mix 50/50 before pouring in. This will insure the remaining water doesn't dilute the coolant to much and possibly cause a freeze issue.
As for distilled water it suggested if you live in the city but not required if you on a well. As for my truck just to prove a point of water I've been using irrigation water now for the life of the truck and the picture above show absolutely no harm to the coolant system from using good old creek water!

Here is where my water come from...
2a8oxol.jpg

Last edited:

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea good creek water is good, I use fresh spring water. I basically live in a spring basin here in Florida. Crystal clear, clean water mixed with the coolant of course lol

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I read a very detailed internet page about flushing. it said a better method than risking damage due to removing all the fluid, is to drain the radiator and refill every 3 months.
I will have to find the page again. it went into great detail with math and everything.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
LOL @ George ...

Yes , Michael has been very patient with me threw my CTD build . Again I say thank you .

OP
OP
Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Damn bro, you look hot. ;)

Sorry not my type...
sign0094.gif
lol2.gif

Ramhunter9 said:
Yes , Michael has been very patient with me threw my CTD build . Again I say thank you .

Not a problem... You requested the information so I gave you information not it up to you to use it or lose it...
kickrock.gif

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you prefer them bald like Dave. lol

Just what do you guys talk about on the phone anyways?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Forgive George , he is a "special" kind of guy .

And George if he knew what we talked about he would think we were freaks .
"What is Juice ?"